This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.3809 / 53°22'51"N
Longitude: -1.4688 / 1°28'7"W
OS Eastings: 435430
OS Northings: 387252
OS Grid: SK354872
Mapcode National: GBR 9HK.MT
Mapcode Global: WHDDP.D8SY
Plus Code: 9C5W9GJJ+9F
Entry Name: Upper Chapel (Unitarian)
Listing Date: 28 June 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271182
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455750
Location: Sheffield, S1
Electoral Ward/Division: City
Built-Up Area: Sheffield
Traditional County: Yorkshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): South Yorkshire
Church of England Parish: Sheffield
Church of England Diocese: Sheffield
SK3587SW NORFOLK STREET
784-1/24/548 (North West side)
28/06/73 Upper Chapel (Unitarian)
Unitarian chapel. 1700, raised and refronted 1847-48, vestry
added 1900. Brick with ashlar front and slate roof. Classical
EXTERIOR: plinth, dentilled cornices to first floor, dentilled
wooden eaves cornice and pediment. 2 storeys; 5 x 4 windows.
Windows are mainly round-headed glazing bar sashes with
Front has a slightly projecting centre with pediment and 3
windows with moulded surrounds with pilasters. On each side,
single similar windows. Below, 4-column Ionic portico with
dentilled cornice. Beneath it, 3 round-headed recesses, the
outer ones with panelled double doors and fanlights. On either
side, single 12 pane sashes with eared architraves. Returns
have string courses and 4 windows on each floor. Gabled single
storey vestry, to south-east, has a large square bay window to
east and a smaller canted bay window to south.
INTERIOR has a panelled oval gallery, 1848, on 3 sides, with
iron posts with Corinthian capitals. Dentilled cornice and
enriched painted ceiling with bosses. East end has single
corniced 6-panel doors flanking the pulpit and above, a
round-arched opening with organ case above and screen below.
On either side of the opening, stained glass windows c1945, by
Hugh Easton. West end has 2 doors with pedimented glazed inner
porches. Entrance lobby has moulded cornice and at each end, a
stone cantilever dogleg stair with cast-iron balustrade.
Vestry has moulded cornice and coved ceiling, and fireplace
with pilasters, pediment and overmantel mirror.
STAINED GLASS: 5 windows to the ground floor, 1899, by Henry
Holiday. 3 late C19, four 1917-1920. Fittings include oak
pulpit, c1900, Classical style, with canted front and spiral
stair, carried on 6 Doric columns. Plain benches c1870.
MEMORIALS include a draped oval marble tablet with cherubs and
winged skull, 1721; tablet with apron and urn, 1789,
attributed to Chantrey; draped oval marble and slate tablet,
1830, by Edwin Smith of Sheffield; Classical tablet with
portrait medallion, 1861.
(Welcome to Upper Chapel (visitors' guide); The Buildings of
England: Pevsner N: Yorkshire: The West Riding: London: 1967-:
Listing NGR: SK3543087252
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings