This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7039 / 52°42'14"N
Longitude: -2.7622 / 2°45'43"W
OS Eastings: 348595
OS Northings: 312074
OS Grid: SJ485120
Mapcode National: GBR BJ.2LNK
Mapcode Global: WH8BT.J9WG
Entry Name: Shrewsbury School Main Building
Listing Date: 19 September 1972
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271368
English Heritage Legacy ID: 455073
Location: Shrewsbury, Shropshire, SY3
Civil Parish: Shrewsbury
Built-Up Area: Shrewsbury
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Shrewsbury St Chad
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ4812SE ASHTON ROAD
653-1/14/83 (North side (off))
19/09/72 Shrewsbury School Main Building
School building, originally Coram's Foundling Hospital. 1765
by Thomas Farnolls Pritchard, adapted 1878-1882 by Sir Arthur
Blomfield for use for Shrewsbury School. Brick with Welsh
EXTERIOR: 3 storeys with attic, 13-window range, 2-3-3-3-2
with advanced outer and central sections. Symmetrical about
both axes. Central entrance block of 3 bays with central
pediment over doorway, and rusticated brick quoins. Paired
pilasters each side of round-arched doorway, balconette with
balustraded parapet to central light of tripartite window over
door which has enriched segmentally-pedimented entablature.
Steep pediment with oculus flanked by balustraded parapet.
Windows in flanking ranges are 20-pane sashes in moulded
architraves with pedimented heads to first-floor windows in
central and outer bays, and in centre of flanking ranges.
Advanced outer bays have hipped roofs, the parapet continuing
across the elevation. and dormer windows in roof, with
alternately segmental and triangular pediments.
Copper cupola with clock in centre of hipped roof, which is
surmounted by balustrading. End wall stacks. Central staircase
with cantilevered stone stairs and cast-iron balustrade.
Subsidiary stairs in outer bays.
INTERIOR: divided as a series of small, plain rooms, possibly
reflecting its origins as hospital.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the building was in use as a foundling
hospital only until c1772, and had a variety of subsequent
uses including woollen factory and asylum, until it was
acquired by the school in 1882.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N: Shropshire:
Listing NGR: SJ4859512074
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings