This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.48 / 52°28'48"N
Longitude: -1.9076 / 1°54'27"W
OS Eastings: 406372
OS Northings: 286904
OS Grid: SP063869
Mapcode National: GBR 5Y8.PV
Mapcode Global: VH9YW.WXDP
Entry Name: Baskerville House
Listing Date: 2 May 2001
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271414
English Heritage Legacy ID: 487308
Location: Birmingham, B1
Electoral Ward/Division: Ladywood
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Cathedral Church of St Philip Birmingham
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP686NW BROAD STREET
997/32/10331 Baskerville House
Council offices. 1938, completed 1940s; to 19935 design by T. Cecil Howitt. Portland stone ashlar, with rusticated basement.
PLAN: Rectangular on plan with projecting end bays on longer NE and SW sides and entrance at centre of SE side through apse-like portico.
Monumental Classical style.
EXTERIOR: 4 storeys. 5:1:5 bay SE front, battered rusticated basement with string above and entablature with dentilled cornice that breaks forwards around central apse-like portico with giant fluted Ionic columns distyle in antis, coffered semi-dome forming round arch with stepped parapet above with frieze of swags, and with steps up to bronze entrance with broad fluted pilasters; windows in moulded architraves, first floor with cornices and segmental pediments on consoles. NE and SW sides 1:13:1 bays, the end bays advanced and with giant fluted Ionic columns in antis and attic pavilions above. Bronze grilles to some of basement windows and balconies to some first floor windows.
INTERIOR: Richly decorated in travertine marble, vaulted hall with galleried landings, bronze lift doors with relief panels depicting Birmingham's industries, moulded plaster ceilings, decorative ventilation grilles, panelling and original furnishings.
NOTE: Baskerville House, together with Birmingham Municipal Bank [qv] was the only part of the civic centre to be built . It was designed in 1935; work started in 1938 and was completed in the 1940s.
SOURCE: Buildings of England, p117.
Listing NGR: SP0637286904
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings