History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Lawn Attached Walls and Terrace

A Grade II Listed Building in Harlow, Essex

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.7805 / 51°46'49"N

Longitude: 0.1253 / 0°7'31"E

OS Eastings: 546707

OS Northings: 211230

OS Grid: TL467112

Mapcode National: GBR LDJ.8J3

Mapcode Global: VHHM7.4H2X

Entry Name: The Lawn Attached Walls and Terrace

Listing Date: 22 December 1998

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271496

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472019

Location: Harlow, Essex, CM20

County: Essex

District: Harlow

Town: Harlow

Electoral Ward/Division: Mark Hall

Built-Up Area: Harlow

Traditional County: Essex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex

Church of England Parish: St Mary-at-Latton

Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford

Find accommodation in
Harlow

Listing Text

TL 41 SE HARLOW MARK HALL NORTH

973/2/10005 Nos. 1-36
The lawn, attached walls
And terrace

GV II


Ten storey block of flats, attached walls and terrace. 1950-51, by Frederick Gibberd. Irregular trapezoid plan, with tapering circulation core, angled wings and gently convex south front. There are two one-bed flats and two bedsitters on each floor (four bedsits on the ground floor) with the projecting ends of each wing used to secure a south-facing balcony for each apartment, and the living rooms of the flats also have supplementary east or west facing windows. The grouped bathrooms and kitchens on the east and west flanks account for the regular pattern of four small square windows on each elevation, while the balconies and recesses are used to throw the centre panel of the curved south front, in light buff brick, into bold relief. A warm red brick was used as the main cladding material of the reinforced concrete structure, unusually laid as a solid 14" wall in double stretcher bond. This is indicative of the care and subtlety of the overall design, which represents the best of British housing design of the early 1950s. The block has retained its original character and although the original metal windows have been replaced in UPVC this has not harmed the integrity of the building. Attached terracing around the east side and attached wall to the north, providing transition to low block. Interiors not of special interest.
The Lawn was the first residential tower block in Britain and received a Ministry of Health Housing medal in 1952.


Listing NGR: TL4670711230

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.