History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Two table tombs approximately 3 metres and 6 metres north of the tower of the Church of St Lawrence

A Grade II Listed Building in Barnwood, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8582 / 51°51'29"N

Longitude: -2.2072 / 2°12'25"W

OS Eastings: 385829

OS Northings: 217758

OS Grid: SO858177

Mapcode National: GBR 1L7.DSJ

Mapcode Global: VH94C.PKJB

Entry Name: Two table tombs approximately 3 metres and 6 metres north of the tower of the Church of St Lawrence

Listing Date: 15 December 1998

Last Amended: 16 April 2014

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271587

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472145

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL4

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Barnwood

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Barnwood St Lawrence

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Matson

Summary

Two table tombs erected in the late C17 or early C18.

Description

Two table tombs erected in the late C17 or early C18.

They are constructed of dressed and carved stone. Both tombs have base slabs and projecting capstones with moulded edges, supported by end and side panels.

SOUTH TOMB: the projecting consoles on the end panels frame a seated figure in relief, now badly weathered. To the south face is a rectangular inscription panel with a figure in relief to either side; the north carries a rectangular inscription panel framed by curtains in relief.

NORTH TOMB: the projecting consoles on the east side frame an oval panel in relief with scrolled surround, above are two winged angel heads. The projecting consoles on the west side frame an oval panel. The south side has a rectangular inscription panel with a floral motif and draped material; the north an oval inscription panel in relief with scrolled edges flanked by ribbons and foliage.

History

The parish church of St Lawrence (Grade II*) was founded in the C12. The north aisle and chancel were added in the C13, and the tower and Lady Chapel were built in the early C16. There were further alterations in the 1860s when the chancel was largely rebuilt, and in 1874-78 the church was restored.

The two, late-C17 or early-C18 table tombs are located to the north of the early-C16 tower of the Church of St Lawrence. The inscription panels are blank and it is not clear who is interred in either tomb.

Reasons for Listing

The two table tombs approximately 3m and 6m north of the tower of the Church of St Lawrence date from the late C17 or early C18 and are listed at Grade II for the following principal reasons:
* Historic interest: as pre-1770 examples of table tombs;
* Decorative quality: the tombs exhibit good craftsmanship and demonstrate a high quality of design including carved consoles and relief sculpture;
* Group value: they form a contemporary pair of table tombs unified by their decorative detailing.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.