History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Village Cross (At Corner of Rea Lane)

A Grade II* Listed Building in Gloucester, Gloucestershire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8508 / 51°51'2"N

Longitude: -2.2705 / 2°16'13"W

OS Eastings: 381467

OS Northings: 216949

OS Grid: SO814169

Mapcode National: GBR 0JT.W8K

Mapcode Global: VH94B.LRK0

Plus Code: 9C3VVP2H+8R

Entry Name: Village Cross (At Corner of Rea Lane)

Listing Date: 10 January 1955

Last Amended: 15 December 1998

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271745

English Heritage Legacy ID: 472461

Location: Gloucester, Gloucestershire, GL2

County: Gloucestershire

District: Gloucester

Town: Gloucester

Electoral Ward/Division: Westgate

Built-Up Area: Gloucester

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Hempsted with Gloucester, Saint Mary de Lode and Saint Mary de Crypt

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Hempstead

Listing Text


GLOUCESTER

SO81NW ST SWITHUN'S ROAD, Hempsted
844-1/3/455 (South side)
10/01/55 Village Cross (at corner of Rea
Lane)
(Formerly Listed as:
ST SWITHUN'S ROAD, Hempstead
Cross in Village (at corner of Rea
Lane))

GV II*

Village cross. Early C15. Dressed stone shaft of a cross found
buried in the churchyard of the Church of St Swithun, Hempsted
(qv), by Canon Samuel Lysons in 1839. The shaft, with a short
upper part added to it and the cross carved at his direction,
was erected c1850 for Lysons on a stepped base on the present
site.
EXTERIOR: square base of two steps of dressed stone blocks
laid on a C20 bottom step of rubble, and an upper, inset,
plinth block, probably medieval, with a badly weathered
chamfer; dowelled into the top of the plinth block the
slender, medieval shaft with chamfered angles broached at the
bottom; the C19 addition to the shaft surmounted by carved
Celtic cross. The medieval shaft is believed to be from a
cross erected with money donated by William Franklin in 1417
before he set out on a pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostella.
Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Listing NGR: SO8146716949

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.