This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.3914 / 52°23'29"N
Longitude: -1.8871 / 1°53'13"W
OS Eastings: 407778
OS Northings: 277050
OS Grid: SP077770
Mapcode National: GBR 3GX.3Q6
Mapcode Global: VH9ZH.75Q2
Plus Code: 9C4W94R7+H5
Entry Name: Kingswood Meeting House and Sunday School
Listing Date: 11 March 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271794
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473120
Location: Wythall, Bromsgrove, Worcestershire, B47
Civil Parish: Wythall
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Worcestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Worcestershire
Church of England Parish: Wythall
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
SP 07 NE
(North west side)
Kingswood Meeting House and Sunday School
Meeting house, now a chapel and Sunday school. Built in 1793 as Presbyterian meeting house; remodelled c1860-74; Sunday school added later C19. Flemish bond and Flemish garden wall bond brick with stone and polychrome brick dressings. Slate roof with gable ends, front gable with stone coping. PLAN: Rectangular, almost square, plan auditorium of original meeting house, with entrances at south end. Remodelled and Gothicised c1860-74, when a small chancel was built at the north end, and a portico built on the south front incorporating a mausoleum and small gallery above. Later in the C19 a Sunday school was added at the north end, built at right-angles to the chancel. EXTERIOR: South front has wide rendered gable and brick string-courses. Small gabled central2-storey projection with 2-light plate tracery window on first floor, and mausoleum below with segmental dog-tooth arch opening on ground floor with moulded string-course above raised over roundel. Flanking porches with round arches forming an arcade; inner doorways with pilastered doorcases with panelled reveals and panelled double-doors; the central bay is a mausoleum containing a railed tomb; above the porches small plate-tracery rose windows. The east and west sides each have two large 2-light Gothic traceried windows. The chancel at the north end has triple and double lancet windows. The Sunday school attached at right-angles to north of chancel has large cast-iron frame windows with small panes. INTERIOR: Panelled dado and polygonal pulpit from earlier meeting house. Moulded chancel and organ chamber arches. Open moulded tie-beam roof structure with arch-braces and carved queen- and king-posts. Gothic balustrade and arch with trefoil pierced spandrels to small gallery at south end. Victorian furnishings include pews, Communion rail, organ and floor tiles. White marble wall monuments. Patterned stained glass. HISTORY: The first meeting house built c1708 and damaged in the Sacheverell riots of 1715, was entirely destroyed in the Birmingham riots of 1791 and replaced by this building in 1793. SOURCE: RCHME, Nonconformist Chapels and Meeting Houses in Central England; pp.259 and 260.
Listing NGR: SP0777877050
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings