This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7347 / 50°44'4"N
Longitude: -0.7775 / 0°46'39"W
OS Eastings: 486364
OS Northings: 93498
OS Grid: SZ863934
Mapcode National: GBR DHY.VMS
Mapcode Global: FRA 9784.DX5
Entry Name: The Listening Post
Listing Date: 12 March 1999
Last Amended: 26 May 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1271803
English Heritage Legacy ID: 473129
Location: Selsey, Chichester, West Sussex, PO20
County: West Sussex
Civil Parish: Selsey
Built-Up Area: Selsey
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Sussex
Church of England Parish: Selsey St Peter
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 15/08/2012
SZ 5289 SE
The Listening Post
(Formerly listed as No 2, The Listening Post, East Beach Road)
Sound mirror, now incorporated within house. 1916, converted into house by late 1930s. Sound mirror built of reinforced concrete, the shuttered lifts to the exterior clearly visible. House has slate-clad stud walls and corrugated asbestos roof, with 2-window front and window inserted into left-side wall; extensions to rear and right.
INTERIOR: curved profile to mirror wall.
HISTORY: This house incorporates a complete example of a sound mirror, built in 1916 (recorded as under construction in March of that year) and one of a series of listening posts built for the Admiralty along the south-east and north-east coasts. The attacks by the German Fleet on east coast ports in December 1914 had alerted the Admiralty to the need to provide early warning of future raids, soon underlined by the threat posed by Zeppellins to British ports and urban areas. The sound signal was reflected by the dish, via a duty observer armed with a stethoscope, to a microphone which enabled the course of the intruder to be plotted. These signal stations thus formed a precursor to the development of radar from 1936. Due to the obsolescence of the technology from the late 1930s, and later coastal clearance work and urbanisation, very few examples (such as Fulwell in Sunderland and the Hythe/Dungeness group in Kent) have survived. It also bears a very direct relationship, through its form and design, to its intended use and thus its technological and historical context. Source: (Chichester Observer, March 1916).
Listing NGR: SZ8636493498
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings