History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Coles Yard and Slipway

A Grade II Listed Building in Cowes, Isle of Wight

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 50.7514 / 50°45'4"N

Longitude: -1.2944 / 1°17'39"W

OS Eastings: 449874

OS Northings: 94878

OS Grid: SZ498948

Mapcode National: GBR 89R.X5C

Mapcode Global: FRA 8753.9JL

Entry Name: Coles Yard and Slipway

Listing Date: 3 November 1993

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1271949

English Heritage Legacy ID: 452316

Location: Cowes, Isle of Wight, PO31

County: Isle of Wight

Civil Parish: Cowes

Built-Up Area: Cowes

Traditional County: Hampshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Isle of Wight

Church of England Parish: All Saints, Gurnard with Saint Faith, Cowes

Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth

Find accommodation in
East Cowes

Listing Text

This List Entry was subject to a Minor Amendment 06/01/2017


The following building shall be added to the list:-

COWES

SZ 49 SE
6/10000

ARCTIC ROAD

(East side)
Coles Yard and Slipway
(Formerly listed under Arctic Street)

II

Yacht building and fitting yard. Constructed by George Henry
Marvin in 1885. Comprises chimney, arch, which originally
contained the Pattern Shop, and slipway. Engine chimney of
stock brick, square in section about 50 feet high, tapering to
top with simple cap with modillion cornice. This is attached
to a stone segmental arch with stock brick voussoirs, the arch
filled in with weatherboarding with 2 C19 industrial windows
and unloading doors. Two lean-to weatherboarded structures are
attached, one of which is the winch house. The arch bears a
tablet inscribed GM 1885. The interior contains the original
1885 2.5hp beam engine driving a winding drum through a four
stage reduction gearing now adapted to run on compressed air.
The boiler has been moved and adapted to act as an air
reservoir chamber. Attached to the arch is the slipway
constructed of local stone blocks with 4 steps at each shore
end and flights of 13 steps two thirds of the way along ending
in a wooden pier each side with mainly chamfered concrete
supports. The floor of the dock is made of large concrete
slabs on which lie three railway tracks to support the
cradles. At the end of the C19 this was probably the single
largest yacht building and fitting enterprise in Britain, its
importance shown by its work on King George V's racing cutter
"Britannia".In World War I the slipway was used to convert
large yachts and pleasure boats into patrol boats. In World
War II Coles Yard was the base for Free French naval patrol
boats.


Listing NGR: SZ4987494878

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.