This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.7995 / 50°47'58"N
Longitude: -1.1073 / 1°6'26"W
OS Eastings: 463006
OS Northings: 100370
OS Grid: SU630003
Mapcode National: GBR VNG.2Q
Mapcode Global: FRA 86KZ.JFG
Plus Code: 9C2WQVXV+Q3
Entry Name: Number 5 Boathouse (Buildings Numbers 1/27 and 1/28)
Listing Date: 13 August 1999
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272290
English Heritage Legacy ID: 476677
Location: Charles Dickens, Portsmouth, PO1
Electoral Ward/Division: Charles Dickens
Built-Up Area: Portsmouth
Traditional County: Hampshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hampshire
Church of England Parish: St Thomas of Canterbury, Portsmouth
Church of England Diocese: Portsmouth
SU 6200 SE MAIN ROAD
HM Naval Base
774-1/18/210 No 5 Boathouse (Buildings Nos
1/27 & 1/28)
Masthouse then boathouse and sail loft, now museum. 1882 (Riley) on site of earlier boathouse. Timber framed with weatherboard cladding and corrugated iron roofs.
EXTERIOR= 2 parallel ranges of 1 storey, 2:2 x 12 bays, built over Mast Pond (qv); with 3rd, shorter, range (former sail loft) set back against right return, originally of 2 storeys with loft. Small-pane wooden windows in flush wood frames. Board doors. Bracketed boxed eaves. The 2 main ranges are built on a wood and iron substructure which has iron posts with wooden braces to iron girders and wooden joists. South-west elevation: the 2 main ranges have 4 original wide entrances replaced by (20 doors, small-pane glazing, and vertical boarding. 2 louvred openings above to left range. Hipped roofs. Range set back on right has central late (20 door in original surround with bracketed wooden pentice; flanking continuous 4-pane windows with door to left; 3 small-pane windows above; and 2 strap-hinged loading doors in gable. Rear: main range has diagonally-tooled stone plinth with granite kerbstones; 5 bays of continuous board doors or replacement vertical boarding; louvred gable. Shorter range as before. Left return: bracketed iron balcony; 12 windows. Right return: main range has late (20 door and 5 windows on right of shorter range and 3 windows on left.
INTERIOR: square wooden columns straight-braced to longitudinal and cross beams. Roof trusses have braced wooden king posts and vertical secondary braces; raking plank wind braces. HISTORY: one of a pair of boathouse with No.7 (qv). With the Lower Boat House, Chatham (qv), the last surviving examples of a once-common type, used for building and storing of small boats.
(Sources: Coad J: The Royal Dockyards 1690-1850: Aldershot: 1989: 145; The Buildings of England: Lloyd D: Hampshire and the Isle of Wight: Harmondsworth: 1985: 409-410; The Portsmouth Papers: Riley R(: The Evolution of the Docks & Industrial Buildings in Portsmouth: Portsmouth: 1985: 11).
Listing NGR: SU6299200361
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings