History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dovedale Cottages

A Grade II Listed Building in Wandsworth, London

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.4725 / 51°28'21"N

Longitude: -0.1645 / 0°9'52"W

OS Eastings: 527577

OS Northings: 176439

OS Grid: TQ275764

Mapcode National: GBR 7V.79

Mapcode Global: VHGR5.37CZ

Entry Name: Dovedale Cottages

Listing Date: 6 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 449366

Location: Wandsworth, London, SW11

County: London

District: Wandsworth

Electoral Ward/Division: Latchmere

Built-Up Area: Wandsworth

Traditional County: Surrey

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Greater London

Church of England Parish: Battersea Christ Church and St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Southwark

Find accommodation in
Marylebone

Listing Text

BATTERSEA PARK ROAD
TQ 2776
(North side)
1207- /7/10029
Nos.2-11 (Consecutive)
Dovedale Cottages
II
GV
Almshouses, now arranged as flats. 1841 on behalf of Mrs Lightfoot and her daughter,
Mary, for'persons in reduced circumstances professing godliness'. White brick in Flemish
bond with cement dressings and slate roofs. Two storeys. Three-part symmetrical
composition with projecting centre section of three windows originally containing chapel
and taller than its surrounds. Entrance to No. 6 in this range is set under a four-centred
Tudor arch, other openings are flat arched. Two entrances to each lower wing on street
facade with single light windows on first-floor over, those nearest ends in dormers. The
other windows are three-light casements set in narrow mullions forming an alternating
pattern to the first floor, except that first-floor windows of centre block have mullions and
a transom; the window over centre entrance is an oriel, above which is a gable inset with
roundel depicting a dove bearing an olive branch. Apart from the central gable over the
former chapel, the roof is gabled to the returns and has boxed eaves to the front wall.
Lintel band to ground floor. Sill band to first floor. The fire wall of centre range has its
own parapet and coping above that of side ranges, where the gables also finish in a
parapet with coping. There are two stacks to each low side wing: one to the peak of the
parapet, the other near the fire wall of the centre range. The stacks to the latter range are
set in its parapet end walls.
This range forms the centrepiece of the group of almshouses, which form a distinguished
composition alongside the former St Stephen's church (q.v.)


Listing NGR: TQ2757776439

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.