This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.2616 / 51°15'41"N
Longitude: 0.0641 / 0°3'50"E
OS Eastings: 544114
OS Northings: 153406
OS Grid: TQ441534
Mapcode National: GBR LLM.YV5
Mapcode Global: VHHPQ.2K76
Plus Code: 9F327367+JJ
Entry Name: Squerryes Court
Listing Date: 10 September 1954
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272592
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448666
Location: Westerham, Sevenoaks, Kent, TN16
Civil Parish: Westerham
Traditional County: Kent
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Kent
Church of England Parish: Westerham St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Rochester
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 16/06/2016
TQ 4453 36/1346
Goodley Stock (East Side)
(Formerly listed as Squerries Court)
Built in 1681 by Sir Nicholas Crisp, a wealthy Guinea merchant. In the early
C18 it was acquired by John Warde, the ancestor of the present owners.
Squerryes Court is one of the finest examples of a Renaissance manor house and
stands in landscaped park with ornamental lake in front and gazebo on summit
of hill opposite. The estate stretches over a wide area to the south of Westerham
and includes a number of farmhouses etc, listed elsewhere.
Squerryes Court is a rectangular building with a typical Queen Anne type of
red brick elevation. 2 storeys, projecting moulded cornice with modillions,
steep hip slate roof with pedimented gable end dormers. Symmetrical elevation
with centre pedimented projection and C19 projecting stone porch with columns
and entablature. C19 sash windows in exposed moulded frames with vertical and
horizontal sash bars. Flat arches over windows of rubbed red headers. End
brick pilasters at corners. Stone plinth and brick band. Dormers with square
paned casements. Circular window in centre of pediment. Inside, original plan
much altered and staircase removed in mid C19 to form large entrance hall with
Roman Doric screen. Some original dado panelling and enriched doors and windows;
also some plaster cornices and original fireplace surrounds.
Historic Associations. The Warde family have owned Squerryes for the last 2
centuries and one of them, John Warde, was famous as the "Father of Fox Hunting".
The house contains a valuable collection of paintings.
Listing NGR: TQ4411453406
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings