This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.9774 / 52°58'38"N
Longitude: -0.8365 / 0°50'11"W
OS Eastings: 478221
OS Northings: 342860
OS Grid: SK782428
Mapcode National: GBR BLF.CBN
Mapcode Global: WHFJ2.3FY9
Plus Code: 9C4XX5G7+XC
Entry Name: Church of St Peter
Listing Date: 1 December 1965
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272725
English Heritage Legacy ID: 448067
Location: Flawborough, Rushcliffe, Nottinghamshire, NG13
Civil Parish: Flawborough
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
FLAWBOROUGH MAIN STREET
SK 74 SE
(north west side)
5/59 Church of St. Peter
Parish church. Rebuilt 1841. For Rev. Sturton. Restored 1892.
Vestry 1892. Brick, partly rough cast, with gabled slate roofs.
Ashlar dressings and chamfered plinth. Windows are mainly single
and double chamfered lancets with iron lozenge shaped glazing
bars. All windows have hood moulds. West tower, nave, chancel,
vestry. West tower, 3 stages, has 2 string courses, moulded
eaves, coped parapet and 4 pinnacles. 4 clasping buttresses, 2
setoffs. First stage has to south, a lancet. Above, late C18
slate and ashlar tablet. West side has re-sited and re-cut Cll
doorway with zigzag, nailhead and scallop bands, 2 pairs of
colonettes with leaf and scallop capitals. Above, datestone
inscribed: "This Church rebuilt 1840". North side has rounded
stair turret with conical slab roof and curved Gothic style door.
Second stage has to south, blocked round opening. To west,
cusped C13 style double lancet with projecting quoins and hood
mould. Third stage has 4 single lancet openings. Nave, 2 bays,
has moulded eaves and coped parapet and gable. On each side, 3
ashlar buttresses and 2 double lancets with Y tracery. Chancel,
2 bays, has coped east gable with kneelers and cross. East end
has C14 style triple lancet with panel tracery. South side has 2
mullioned casements with cusped heads in square headed reveal.
Vestry, single bay, lean-to, has wooden double lancet to north.
East end has pointed doorway with re-set conical finial.
Chamfered and rebated elliptical tower arch. Tower chamber has
draught screen with Gothic tracery. Aisleless nave has strutted
king post roof. Chancel has similar lower roof. Chancel south
side has to east, restored C13 piscina. Vestry has no
architectural features. Fittings include C12 font bowl with
interlaced arcading, with C19 cover and octagonal base and stem.
Softwood stalls, desks and benches, similar panelled octagonal
pulpit, altar rail on scrolled iron stands, bracketed wrought
iron lectern, all 1892. Framed donations board referring to 1841
restoration, with painting of previous church and inscription.
Monuments include oval cast iron tablet with sarcophagus, to
Ellen Bland, 1822. Gabled marble tablet on brackets, with dove
and scroll, 1850, signed "Davies, West Brompton."
Listing NGR: SK7822142860
Other nearby listed buildings