History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Seend Lodge

A Grade II Listed Building in Seend, Wiltshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3496 / 51°20'58"N

Longitude: -2.078 / 2°4'40"W

OS Eastings: 394666

OS Northings: 161171

OS Grid: ST946611

Mapcode National: GBR 2TX.9H0

Mapcode Global: VH96Y.XBTR

Entry Name: Seend Lodge

Listing Date: 19 March 1962

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1272820

English Heritage Legacy ID: 447689

Location: Seend, Wiltshire, SN12

County: Wiltshire

Civil Parish: Seend

Built-Up Area: Seend

Traditional County: Wiltshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire

Find accommodation in
Seend

Listing Text

SEEND HIGH STREET
ST 9461
(north side)
12/284 Seend Lodge
19.3.62
GV II

House, c1700 altered in early and later C19, red brick with
decorative strips in black header bricks, ashlar dressings and
slate steep hipped roof. Tall brick stacks to rear of main range.
Two storeys and attic, 5-window range with 2 hipped dormers.
Rusticated quoins, moulded plinth and string-course, moulded timber
eaves cornice. Decorative strips of black brick each side of
upper windows, paired strips each side of centre window. Windows
are 8-pane sashes in flush unmoulded surrounds, possibly early C19
with flush ashlar band between upper window heads and eaves
cornice. Ground floor has projecting 2-window square bays each
side in matching style, probably early C19, and centre glazed doors
in fine bolection-moulded stone surround with broken pediment on
consoles and acanthus-cupped ball in pediment. Early C19 side-
light each side. East side has added square bay to ground floor.
Rear is later C19 rubble stone parallel addition. To left of
front a 2-storey section, ground floor C18, raised in C19 with roof
hipped to west and tall west stack, cambered-head C19 sashes below,
brick band and two 8-pane sashes above. Straight joint in stable
(q.v.) suggests that ground floor of this section pre-dates stable.
Interior: fine closed string stair with panelled newels and turned
balusters. Heavy chamfered centre beams to front rooms. The
house of the clock-maker G. Newton, d.1681, probably rebuilt for
his son G. Newton. The house was one of the Parish houses, leased
to the Newtons and from 1795 to the Schomberg family who bought it
in 1873. Captain I. Schomberg (d.1813) was Deputy Controller of
the Navy.
(E. Bradby, Seend a Wiltshire Village, 1981, 107-8, 198-9.


Listing NGR: ST9466661171

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.