This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.3629 / 51°21'46"N
Longitude: -2.033 / 2°1'58"W
OS Eastings: 397798
OS Northings: 162648
OS Grid: ST977626
Mapcode National: GBR 2TS.GTT
Mapcode Global: VHB4F.Q03J
Entry Name: Church of St Matthew
Listing Date: 19 March 1962
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1272866
English Heritage Legacy ID: 447349
Location: Rowde, Wiltshire, SN10
Civil Parish: Rowde
Built-Up Area: Rowde
Traditional County: Wiltshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Wiltshire
This list entry was subject to a Minor Amendment on 05/10/2012
Church of St Matthew
Anglican parish church, C15 west tower, nave and aisles rebuilt in 1832-3, north porch 1871, medieval chancel raised and re-roofed 1901-2. Ashlar with slate roofs and embattled parapets, previously pinnacled. Three-stage tower with string courses, 2-light bell-openings, embattled parapet and corner pinnacles. Three-light west window of 1871, replacing original west door. South side stair tower. Three-window nave with flat-headed clerestory windows, between diagonal shafts, bases of former pinnacles. Aisles have buttresses carrying similar pinnacle bases, chamfered angles and pointed 2-light windows with hoodmoulds. Three-window south aisle. Five-bay north aisle includes north-east organ chamber and has 3 similar windows alternating with 2 red sandstone shafted doorways of 1871, that to right set in gabled timber and ashlar porch. Chancel is embattled, squared rubble stone with one south side 2-light pointed window, 3-light east window probably of 1871 and windowless north side.
Interior: 3-bay arcades of 1832-3, shallow pitched roof on corbels, flat aisle roofs. Two-hollow tower-arch with timber screen of 1887. Shafted chancel arch. Carved timber chancel roof of 1901 with angel supporters. North side arch to organ chamber. Furnishings: east window stained glass of 1886, south aisle east window of 1881, nave and west windows of good quality of c1871-5. Plain C15 style 1850 font given by Sir Matthew Digby Wyatt, architect, native of Rowde. Timber pulpit on stone base, 1872. Reredos of 1901 with carved figures of 1910. Some C17 plaques reset on north wall to Webb family. Chancel south wall monument to T. Spencer, d.1765.
Listing NGR: ST9779862648
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings