History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Leasowe Castle

A Grade II* Listed Building in Leasowe and Moreton East, Wirral

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.4184 / 53°25'6"N

Longitude: -3.1078 / 3°6'28"W

OS Eastings: 326471

OS Northings: 391863

OS Grid: SJ264918

Mapcode National: GBR 6XQX.Z9

Mapcode Global: WH761.7BBQ

Entry Name: Leasowe Castle

Listing Date: 20 May 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1273527

English Heritage Legacy ID: 444446

Location: Wirral, CH46

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Leasowe and Moreton East

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Leasowe St Chad

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Moreton

Listing Text

SJ 29 SE WALLASEY LEASOWE ROAD
(north side

2/46 Leasowe Castle
20.5.52
- II*

House, now hotel and conference centre. Octagonal tower,
1593, for Ferdinando Earl of Derby, 2 turrets added early
C17. Altered and extended 1818 by J. Foster Jun. Later
extensions mid C19. Stone with slate roofs, wings to north
and west are timber framed, that to north with brick ground
floor. L-plan, central 3-storey tower has turrets to south
and west, south east entrance front, and 2 wings. Entrance
front has central 4-storey centre and flanking 3-storey
projecting canted bays, top cornice and embattled parapet.
Windows have label moulds and most are sashed with glazing
bars, some with pointed upper panes or mullions and
transoms. Central porch has entrance with 4-centred head,
traceried spandrels and label mould; parapet has recumbent
lion. Original tower visible from south west. Extra storey
added c.1818 has deep corbels to roof on 2 sides; 2-light
window with shouldered lintels. Turrets have 3 coped gables
with ball finials. 2-light double-chamfered-mullioned
windows. Later wing has timber-framed 1st floor with end
canted stone turret. North wing of 9 bays and 3 storeys, 2
brick bay windows of 2 storeys and raking dormers.
Interior: Entrance has stair with iron balusters recording
names of British battles. Original tower has room, formerly
cellar, with entrances and recesses, some with Tudor heads;
original 1st floor entrance, now within turret, has lintel
with legs of Man (the Earls of Derby were Kings of Man).
Spiral stair in one turret leads to 2nd floor room with C17
fielded panelling and 4-panel doors with H-L hinges; bed
recess.


Listing NGR: SJ2647191863

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.