This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6805 / 52°40'49"N
Longitude: -2.597 / 2°35'49"W
OS Eastings: 359737
OS Northings: 309368
OS Grid: SJ597093
Mapcode National: GBR BQ.4CC0
Mapcode Global: WH9D1.2WMF
Plus Code: 9C4VMCJ3+66
Entry Name: Church of the Holy Trinity
Listing Date: 13 June 1958
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1273575
English Heritage Legacy ID: 417398
Location: Wroxeter and Uppington, Shropshire, TF6
Civil Parish: Wroxeter and Uppington
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Uppington Holy Trinity
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
Tagged with: Church building
SJ 50 NE UPPINGTON C.P. UPPINGTON
6/84 Church of the Holy
Parish church. Late C11 or C12, restored and partly rebuilt in 1885 by
J.P. Pritchard of Darlington at the expense of the fourth Duke of
Cleveland. C12-dressed red and grey sandstone, C19 grey sandstone ashlar;
plain tile roofs. Nave, chancel, south vestry and organ chamber, and west
tower; C19 work is in a late C14 Gothic style. Tower: 1885. 3 stages;
semi-octagonal stair turret to north-east with chamfered rectangular openings,
diagonal buttresses, high moulded plinth, chamfered set-backs, moulded string
to coped battlemented parapet, and weathervane. Louvred 2-light belfry openings
with panelled tracery, moulded reveals, and hoodmoulds with carved stops;
diamond-leaded overlight windows to second stage with trefoil heads and hood-
mould with carved stops; possibly re-set C15 west window with 3 quatrefoil-
headed lights, panelled tracery, moulded reveals and hoodmould with carved
stops. Nave: C12, extended to west and eaves raised in 1885. Moulded
corbels, coped parapeted gable ends with cross at apex to east, and C19
stack to north-east with square base, octagonal shaft, and moulded cap.
South side: 2 square-headed windows to right, each with 3 trefoil-headed
lights, moulded reveals, and returned hoodmould with carved stops, right-
hand one late C14 and left-hand one C19. Round-arched C19 south doorway to
left with C19 boarded door; C17 porch restored in circa 1885 with plinth,
moulded corbels, parapeted gable, moulded imposts to round arch with "F B:W/
1678" in central voussoir, two C19 boarded doors, and 3-light double-chamfered
mullion C19 side windows. North side: C12 round-arched window to left and
C19 square-headed window to right with 3 trefoil-headed lights, moulded
reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops; central doorway with late C11
carved tympanum depicting a dragon, and C19 boarded door. Chancel: C12,
eaves raised and north and east walls rebuilt in 1885 (see straight joint).
Moulded corbels, coped parapeted gable end to east with cross at apex.
South side: C12 round-arched window to right and C19 square-headed window
to left with 3 trefoil-headed lights, moulded reveals, and hoodmould with
carved stops; east window with 3 cinquefoil-headed lights, panelled tracery,
moulded reveals, and hoodmould with carved stops. Vestry and organ chamber:
lean-to to north with moulded corbels and coped parapeted verges; boarded
door to north, lancet to east, and steps down to basement door to west.
Interior: C19 six-bay nave roof and 2-bay chancel roofs consisting of
shaped brackets with carved angels and shields, arch-braced collars with
billet decorations to upper edge, pairs of moulded purlins, pierced ashlar
frieze with billet decoration; moulded C19 tower arch with imposts;
restored C12 chancel arch with carved imposts and hoodmould; C19 moulded
arch to north organ chamber with hoodmould and carved stops; C19 moulded-
arched north doorway to vestry with boarded door and hoodmould with carved
stops; east window with wave-moulded rear arch and reveals. Mainly circa
1885 fittings include: wooden reredos with traceried panels; moulded
wooden communion rail with decorative wrought iron supports; aumbry in
south wall has C17 door with pierced tracery and lozenge decoration;
octagonal wooden pulpit with traceried panels; octagonal stone font with
trefoil-headed panelled stems and quatrefoil-panelled bowl; C18 painted
royal coat-of-arms above tower arch. There is reported to be a brass in
the chancel to "John Stainier Gent Steward to ye Right Honoble Francis
Earle of Bradford", who died in 1691, and other members of the family, but
it was not located at time of resurvey. There is a series of C18 and early
C19 memorial tables. Uppington was founded as a chapelry of Wroxeter (q.v.).
The 1885 restoration has also been attributed to S. Pountney Smith (B.o.E.).
Mid-C19 font formerly in the church is said to have been removed to the Church
of St John the Baptist, Stapleton, Condover C.P. (q.v.) in late C19.
B.o.E., p.306; D.H.S. Cranage, An Architectural Account of the Churches of
Shropshire, Vol.7 (1905), Pp.625-6.
Listing NGR: SJ5973709368
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings