This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.6378 / 52°38'16"N
Longitude: -2.4016 / 2°24'5"W
OS Eastings: 372918
OS Northings: 304523
OS Grid: SJ729045
Mapcode National: GBR BZ.6ZDB
Mapcode Global: WH9DB.2YNP
Entry Name: Church of St Andrew
Listing Date: 26 September 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1273840
English Heritage Legacy ID: 416990
Location: Kemberton, Shropshire, TF11
Civil Parish: Kemberton
Traditional County: Shropshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Shropshire
Church of England Parish: Kemberton St Andrew
Church of England Diocese: Lichfield
SJ 70 SW; 4/89
HIGH STREET (west side)
Church of St. Andrew
Parish Church. Nave, chancel, south porch and vestry of 1882 by Joseph
Farmer of Kemberton; west tower (on site of C18 tower) 1908 also by
Farmer. Sandstone ashlar, plain tiled roofs. Tower. 3 stages with
angle buttresses on plinth (date stone 1908 above plinth), west window
to bottom stage of 3 lights with unusual leaf-like tracery, square
headed window with 2 cusped lights to second stage, 4 paired deeply
recessed pointed windows with cusped lights and stiff leaf carving on
the finials to the hoodmoulds at the belfry stage; embattled parapet,
8 crocketted pinnacles, external stair turret on north, clock on south.
Nave. Buttressed of 3 bays. Decorated tracery to the windows, 2 of
which have transoms in the heads, all with hoodmoulds. Chancel. East
window of 3 lights with geometrical tracery, two 2-light windows on
the south side also with geometrical tracery, all with hoodmoulds,
pointed south doorway with stiff leaf carving in the head. Plain gabled
south porch (1889) with pointed doorway; vestry with 2-light window
in east wall, chimney and external entrance to north. INTERIOR. Tall
pointed tower arch; arch-braced roofs to nave and chancel, chancel arch
with leaf decoration to the innermost order and stiff leaf carving to
the capitals above a low marble screen with brass railings; stained
glass in east window, probably of 1882, partly hidden by early C20 reredos.
Marble pulpit, font, encaustic tiles (those in chancel depicting hunting
scenes') and all fittings are late C19; Royal Arms (George III) over
south door. The church is on a medieval site and fragments of a C13
building survived until taken down in c.1781 when a new church was built;
only the nave of the church is dedicated to St. Andrew, the chancel
being dedicated to St. John the Baptist. Cranage, Vol.I p.22.
Listing NGR: SJ7291804523
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings