This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.7981 / 53°47'53"N
Longitude: -2.3074 / 2°18'26"W
OS Eastings: 379846
OS Northings: 433574
OS Grid: SD798335
Mapcode National: GBR DSBJ.77
Mapcode Global: WH96R.JSFP
Entry Name: Stockbridge House
Listing Date: 28 August 1953
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1274125
English Heritage Legacy ID: 416076
Location: Padiham, Burnley, Lancashire, BB12
Civil Parish: Padiham
Built-Up Area: Burnley
Traditional County: Lancashire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Lancashire
Church of England Parish: Burnley West All Saints St John the Baptist
Church of England Diocese: Blackburn
SD 73 SE PADIHAM VICTORIA ROAD
3/48 Stockbridge House
House, now old people's home, mid-C17 with some early C19 alterations.
Sandstone, random in hall but coursed in cross-wing which also has copings
on kneelers. Concrete tiles. L-shaped plan with hall and cross-wing, with
central axial chimney stack and subsidiary stack (probably C19) above hall
gable. Original front (now facing garden) altered in early C19 (sundial
above doorway bears inscription 'Made by J. Blackburn 1829') so as to have
a roughly central doorway with chamfered jambs and Tudor-arched lintel under
a hoodmould and to its left, on both floors, a 3-light mullioned window with
a similar one to the right on first floor. However, below this on ground
floor is the original 8-light double-chamfered mullioned and transomed hall
window (with a hoodmould); this has a king-mullion and ovolo inner chamfers.
Cross-wing to right has a 6-light mullioned and transomed window with ovolo
inner chamfers on ground floor (to light parlour), a 5-light mullioned
window on first floor and 3-light stepped windows in gable, all
double-chamfered under hoodmoulds. Original rear of building is now
entrance front and was remodelled in early Cl9 with a roughly central
doorway with panelled and glazed door, a 3-light window on each floor to
right, one similar window to left on first floor and, presumably, on ground
floor though this is now hidden by a C20 outshut. Cross-wing projects to
Left with a 3-light stepped window in gable, a 5-light mullioned window on
first floor (both double-chamfered under hoodmoulds), a Cl9 4-light window
to left on ground floor and, on right, 3 original windows related to
staircase. Interior: Hall has fireplace with 4 centred moulded arch 2.5m
wide; parlour has a simple cornice around most of room and 2 panels of
elaborate plasterwork representing vine-trails between ceiling beams which
have simple stops. Dog-leg staircase at rear of cross-wing has stone steps.
House used to belong to the Shuttleworths of Gawthorpe Hall.
Listing NGR: SD7984633574
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings