History in Structure

Newick Park

A Grade II* Listed Building in Newick, East Sussex

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 50.9574 / 50°57'26"N

Longitude: 0.0227 / 0°1'21"E

OS Eastings: 542152

OS Northings: 119504

OS Grid: TQ421195

Mapcode National: GBR LQ8.SN1

Mapcode Global: FRA B6YL.0N0

Plus Code: 9F22X24F+X3

Entry Name: Newick Park

Listing Date: 17 March 1952

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274385

English Heritage Legacy ID: 415376

ID on this website: 101274385

Location: Founthill, Lewes, East Sussex, BN8

County: East Sussex

District: Lewes

Civil Parish: Newick

Traditional County: Sussex

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex

Church of England Parish: Newick St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chichester

Tagged with: House Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


In the entry for:-
TQ 41 NW
6/114 Newick Park
17.3.52 II

The entry shall be amended to read:-

6/114 Newick Park

Large house. Core is a house of C1560 built for an iron master with a date of 1563
or 1568 said to be one of the cellar walls and 1584 on the foundations but
extensively rebuilt in the early C18 with 2 semi-circular bays added to the east
front between 1765 and 1783. Entrance or east front is of 2 to 3 storeys faced in
Roman cement with slate roof and 2 brick chimneystacks. Central part has 5 sashes
(4 of them paired) and projecting rusticated porch with radiating fanlight and
6 panelled door. To the left is a 3-storey late C18 or early C19 curved bay with
3 sashes with glazing bars intact and band between 1st and 2nd floor. To the right
is a 2-storey curved bay with 3 sashes, the ground floor ones full height,
originally a ballroom and to the extreme right a 1-storey addition with 4 18-pane
sashes. South or garden front is of 3-storeys 5 windows. The 2 lower floors are
rusticated. The 2nd floor has 5 10-pane sashes, the other floors have 12-pane
sashes. Ground floor has bay window. Keystone to central 2nd floor window. Giant
pilaster to left hand side. Attached to the right hand side is a C1920 summer house
of 1-storey cement with flat roof supported on 4 Doric columns. West front has
mainly sash windows but the 2nd floor retains a late C16 3-light mullioned window on
the right hand side. Left hand side has 3-storey canted bay and ground floor has
5-light canted bay having round-headed arches with keystones. Attached to the north
is an C18 2-storey brick service wing with tiled roof; 3 brick chimneystacks and
C20 casements. Interior has Entrance Hall with large late C17 stone fireplace with
eared architrave and frieze of birds with fishtails. The adjoining room has a later
C18 Bossi fireplace of inlaid marble with painted cherubs, urns land antique scenes.
The Study has early C20 panelling and a 4 centred arched stone fireplace. The
Library has a very large C1720 stone fireplace with bolection moulding and large
brackets and library shelves and panelling of C1920. The Dining Room, formerly a
ballroom has a late C18 marble fireplace with urn, sunflower and braziers design and
cast iron firegrate. The cornice has a leaf and tendril design. The Staircase Hall
has a cantilevered staircase with cast iron balustrading and mahogany handrail but
is probably early C20. 1st floor has a part of the late C16 frame visible, a
ceiling beam with 2 inch chamber, filler and run out stop. One bedroom has a
priesthole/cupboard with butterfly hinges. Fan-centred arched stone fireplace. The
Green Sitting Room on this floor has a marble fireplace with bolection moulding and
the Green Room has an early Victorian fireplace with reeded surround and central
relief panel of basket of fruit. The Longford Room has a late C18 Bossi marble
fireplace with marble inlay pilasters and paterae. Cellar has slate shelves for
wine storage. Service wing has staggered purlin roof. At the end of the C17 the
house was owned by Francis Millington and was inherited by Baron Marsell of Margham.
In 1750 it was inherited by Louisa Marsell, then it passed through the hands of the
Fortescues, Sir Elijah Impey, Chief Justice of Bengal and an associate of
Warren Hasting lived here from 1794-1809. In 1812 it was owned by James Powell
whose grandson was Thomas Baden Powell.


Newick Park
TQ 41 NW 6/114 17.3.52.

Exterior early C18, with some C16 work inside, later faced with cement. Three
storeys. Nine windows. At the south end of the front is a curved bay of 3
windows on all floors and at the north end a similar but more bulging curved
bay of 2 storeys only, though it rises through the whole height of the house.
The latter, and probably the former, were added at the end of the C18. Stringcourse
above the first floor, (but above the ground floor in the north bay). Parapet
to the bays. Slate roof. Glazing bars intact. Later rusticated porch containing
round-headed doorway with semi-circular fanlight and double doors of 10 fielded
panels. Ground floor addition of 4 windows to the north. The south front
has 5 windows. Ground and first floors rusticated with pilasters flanking
the front. Large later bay added on ground floor. Sir Elijah Impey, Chief
Justice of Bengal and an associate of Warren Hastings, lived here from 1794-1809.

Listing NGR: TQ4215219504

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.