History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

70 74 76, High Street

A Grade II Listed Building in Ware, Hertfordshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.8111 / 51°48'39"N

Longitude: -0.0317 / 0°1'54"W

OS Eastings: 535784

OS Northings: 214329

OS Grid: TL357143

Mapcode National: GBR KBL.JS8

Mapcode Global: VHGPH.DQLZ

Entry Name: 70 74 76, High Street

Listing Date: 14 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274487

English Heritage Legacy ID: 412356

Location: Ware, East Hertfordshire, Hertfordshire, SG12

County: Hertfordshire

District: East Hertfordshire

Civil Parish: Ware

Built-Up Area: Ware

Traditional County: Hertfordshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Hertfordshire

Church of England Parish: Ware

Church of England Diocese: St.Albans

Find accommodation in
Ware

Listing Text


WARE TOWN

TL3514SE HIGH STREET
829-1/9/120 (North side)
14/03/74 Nos.70, 74 AND 76

GV II

Cornmarket with meeting and reading rooms, now commercial
premises. Built 1827 by public subscription. Yellow brick
stucco dressings. Hipped low pitched Welsh slated roof above
wide eaves cornice. Italianate style.
EXTERIOR: 2 storeys. First floor band, with 7 south facing and
2 east facing tall sash windows with glazing bars in reveals
under stucco faced lintels with moulded cornices. Slightly
recessed single window wing on left. Rear elevation facing
West Street has 6 first floor blank recesses beneath segmental
arches on first floor, and 6 arcaded arches on ground floor.
Ground floor arcaded, having 7 arches in archivolts with
imposts and keyblocks, originally open, with C19 and C20
glazed infill. On left modern plate glass display window in
moulded surround, possibly late C19. Plaque on east records
`Town Hall', but this identified the reading room, and the
building never fulfilled a municipal role. The ground floor
arcades were first enclosed in the 1840s when the building
became a shop, and the arcades on the east front were removed
for insertion of a shopfront. The building was extensively
refurbished in 1984-5. Prominent site, with east facade a
focal point in views westward along High Street.
(Edwards E and Perman D: Ware's Past In Pictures: Ware: 1991-:
11, 93, 95, 141; Heath C: The Book of Ware. A Portrait of the
Town: Chesham: 1977-: 61; Perman D: Ware UD. List of buildings
of special arch or historic interest: 1993-: 47; Ware 25" to 1
Mile. Surveyed by the Ordnance Survey Department: 1851-).


Listing NGR: TL3578314328

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.