This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.8528 / 50°51'10"N
Longitude: -0.0111 / 0°0'40"W
OS Eastings: 540094
OS Northings: 107806
OS Grid: TQ400078
Mapcode National: GBR KQ7.J0C
Mapcode Global: FRA B6VV.CGM
Entry Name: Swanborough Manor and the Dovecot to North West of the House
Listing Date: 17 March 1952
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1274722
English Heritage Legacy ID: 414470
Location: Iford, Lewes, East Sussex, BN7
County: East Sussex
Civil Parish: Iford
Traditional County: Sussex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): East Sussex
Church of England Parish: Iford St Nicholas
Church of England Diocese: Chichester
and the dovecot to
north-west of the house
TQ 4007 24/379 17.3.52.
L-shaped building. The original portion of the building was part of a Grange
of St Pancras Priory, Lewes, which was the administrative centre for the monastic
farms of the district. This is the west wing which dates from about 1200,
altered and enlarged in the C15. It comprised the hall and part of the Chapel
to the east. It is faced with flints and stone rubble with a tiled roof. The
north wall has a central chimney breast of flints with stone quoins, a later
brick top and 2 tiny quatrefoil ornaments in it. This front also has one blocked
stone lancet window of 1200 circa, 3 C15 windows of 2 trefoil-headed lights
with dripstones over, one C15 cinquefoil-headed single-light window, a pointed
doorway of 1200 circa and a C15 doorway at first floor level blocked with flints
with an obtusely pointed head. The west wall has a partly obscured circular
window of 1200 circa and a C16 cmquefoil-headed window. Beyond this to the
west is the C15 Gatehouse with a pointed archway on the ground floor. Above
this was originally a passage leading to the (demolished west wing) but this
has been converted into a dovecot with nesting-boxes of chalk blocks. The south
front of this wing has a buttress. The east front of the mediaeval wing is
faced with flints with stone quoins but is of red brick at the top with a tile-hung
gable over. One window.
The south wing is a timber-framed building added in the C16 but refronted
in the C18 with red brick and grey headers on ground floor above tile-hung.
Tiled roof. Sash windows with glazing bars intact. Its western wall is of
painted brick with 3 half-hipped gables and a small porch. Two storeys and
attic. Five windows. Three dormers.
(Article in the Sussex Archaeological Society Collections Vol 77, p 3).
Listing NGR: TQ4010207802
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings