History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of All Saints

A Grade II* Listed Building in Stone, Gloucestershire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.657 / 51°39'25"N

Longitude: -2.4577 / 2°27'27"W

OS Eastings: 368437

OS Northings: 195456

OS Grid: ST684954

Mapcode National: GBR JX.6VXM

Mapcode Global: VH87R.CM33

Entry Name: Church of All Saints

Listing Date: 30 March 1960

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1274801

English Heritage Legacy ID: 414248

Location: Ham and Stone, Stroud, Gloucestershire, GL13

County: Gloucestershire

District: Stroud

Civil Parish: Ham and Stone

Built-Up Area: Stone

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Gloucestershire

Church of England Parish: Stone-with-Woodford All Saints

Church of England Diocese: Gloucester

Find accommodation in
Falfield

Listing Text

ST 69 NE HAM AND STONE STONE

4/192 Church of All Saints

30.3.60


II*


Anglican church. C13 and C14, altered during C19. Random coursed
rubblestone, slate nave roof, tile chancel roof. Mostly in
Decorated style. 4 bay nave with embattled parapet, with
projecting gabled south porch, north vestry of 1846 and west tower.
2 bay chancel. West tower 3 stages marked by offsets, large
stepped diagonal buttresses to west side, pierced parapet wall with
cusped lancet panels, corner pinnacles, recessed ribbed spire with
surmounting eagle. West side has in 1st stage a pointed arch
moulded stone doorway with hoodmould and 3-light window over, very
small openings in upper stages including 2-light belfry openings to
all sides on top stage. Clock face to south. Stair turret in
north-east corner. Nave windows 2-light trefoil head with
quatrefoil over, east window 3-light of 1831.
Interior: 8 bay king post roof with chamfered tie beams
supported on side struts and corbels, and open cusped lancet
panelling flanking king posts. Plastered walls. Chancel arch is
double chamfered with door to rood stair on left. South wall has
small cusped piscina. Wide ogee tomb recesses to north and south
walls. Box pews of 1857. Font at west end with layered quatrefoil
panelling set in front of cusped wooden screen into west tower.
(David Verey, Buildings of England - Gloucestershire: The Vale and
The Forest of Dean, 1983)


Listing NGR: ST6843795456

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.