History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Kingside Hill

A Grade II Listed Building in Holme Abbey, Cumbria

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 54.8512 / 54°51'4"N

Longitude: -3.3163 / 3°18'58"W

OS Eastings: 315584

OS Northings: 551503

OS Grid: NY155515

Mapcode National: GBR 5D8B.TS

Mapcode Global: WH6YZ.1B2B

Entry Name: Kingside Hill

Listing Date: 11 April 1967

Last Amended: 11 November 1988

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1275775

English Heritage Legacy ID: 411353

Location: Holme Abbey, Allerdale, Cumbria, CA7

County: Cumbria

District: Allerdale

Civil Parish: Holme Abbey

Traditional County: Cumberland

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cumbria

Church of England Parish: Holme Cultram St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Carlisle

Find accommodation in

Listing Text

The following building shall be added:


6/32 Kingside Hill
(formerly Atkinson's)

House (formerly farmhouse) with associated outbuildings (shippon and barn).
Probably C16 in part, modernised and extended in 1734 (dated lintel), with
later alterations and C20 extension to rear of house. Walls of mud, sandstone
and brick. Roofs of stone and Welsh slate. House originally a 2-unit plan
(now a single room to ground floor), with kitchen to right of central entrance
(heated by inglenook) and parlour to left. Shippon (with a hayloft) in series
with house all of cruck construction and in overall plan a longhouse
derivative; later (probably early C18) barn to rear. House, 2 low storeys, 3
window range with end stacks. 1 and 2 light casements, all C20; all window
openings (except ground floor, right) look early. Renewed central porch; C18
plank and stud door with strap hinges and dated lintel (1734 IJM). Shippon
and haystore with stone front wall (projecting forward of house) with brick
patching; 2 doorways and hayloft. Left-hand return of rubble with ventilators
and one doorway with one moulded stone canopy. Farmyard elevation of barn,
brick, possibly early C18 with perch of sand stone with cranked timber
Interior: 4 (possibly full) cruck trusses are visible in house and shippon,
halved and pegged at apex with collars and erection haunches; these very
likely predate 1734. Roughly finished ceiling beams to ground floor of house;
the inglenook has been disturbed but the parlour fireplace (stone with
bolection moulding and moulded and mantel shelf) is in situ. Barn with
principals, collar, tie, side purlins and ridge piece, pegged.

Listing NGR: NY1558451503

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.