This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0975 / 53°5'50"N
Longitude: -1.2693 / 1°16'9"W
OS Eastings: 449024
OS Northings: 355834
OS Grid: SK490558
Mapcode National: GBR 7DB.XJZ
Mapcode Global: WHDG4.GDSR
Plus Code: 9C5W3PWJ+X7
Entry Name: Church of St Wilfrid
Listing Date: 28 November 1950
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275908
English Heritage Legacy ID: 410929
Location: Kirkby Cross and Portland, Ashfield, Nottinghamshire, NG17
Electoral Ward/Division: Kirkby Cross & Portland
Parish: Non Civil Parish
Built-Up Area: Kirkby-in-Ashfield
Traditional County: Nottinghamshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Nottinghamshire
Church of England Parish: Kirkby-in-Ashfield St Wilfrid
Church of England Diocese: Southwell and Nottingham
Tagged with: Church building
SK 45 NE KIRKBY IN ASHFIELD CHURCH STREET
3/35 Church of
Parish church. C13, C15 and rebuilt 1908 by L. Ambler.
Romanesque and C13 styles. Snecked rubble and dressed stone.
Slate roofs with coped gables. Chamfered plinth, coved and
moulded eaves. Single round stone stack. Elaborate lead
rainwater heads dated 1908. West tower, nave, north and south
aisles, vestry, chancel, north porch. West tower, 3 stages, has
deep moulded plinth, 2 string courses and dentillated eaves band.
Broach spire, 1863, with single tier of lucarnes and weathercock.
To west, 2 clasping buttresses. First stage has to west, double
lancet with shaft and hood mould. Second stage has stair light
and to north, small lancet and clock. Third stage has 4 double
lancet openings with shafts and hood moulds. North aisle, 3
bays, has 3 buttresses and 3 triple geometrical lancets with hood
moulds and foliate stops. West end has ogee double lancet with
hood mould. South aisle, 5 bays, has 5 buttresses, moulded
plinth and sill band. 4 ogee double lancets with geometrical
tracery and hood moulds. East and west ends have each a triple
ogee lancet with intersecting tracery. East end has 2 flanking
and single central buttresses. Buttressed vestry, 4 bays, has 4
double lancets with geometrical tracery and hood moulds. West
end has door with hood mould. East end has geometrical double
lancet and to its right, steps to moulded doorway. Chancel, 4
bays, has moulded plinth. East end has 2 flanking and single
central buttresses. Decorated 5 light lancet with hood mould.
south side has central door with hood mould and continuous sill
band. Flanked by 2 geometrical double lancets with hood moulds.
Gabled north porch has 2 flanking buttresses to north and moulded
doorway with shafts and hood mould. Above, bracketed canopied
niche with figure. Each side has a Geometrical double lancet
with hood mould. Keeled and roll moulded tower arch has filleted
responds with leaf capitals. Tower west window has stained
glass, 1911. North arcade, 5 bays, has smaller east bay. Round
piers and responds, with plain bases and scallop capitals.
Moulded round arches. Similar south arcade has octagonal piers
and responds with moulded bases and foliate capitals. Moulded
and chamfered arches. Double purlin principal rafter roof with
arch braces on foliate corbels. North and south aisles have arch
braced principal rafter roofs on corbels. North aisle has
moulded arch at east end with screen and organ pipes. South
aisle east end has panelled dado and reredos, stained glass
window and brass, c.1910. South side has war memorial window and
brass c.1920 and 2 stained glass windows, mid C20. Chancel has
C14 style traceried and crested oak screen with ogee openings.
North side has moulded opening containing organ in traceried
case. East end has panelled dado and elaborate reredos with
canopied niches. Stained glass east window, 1908. South side
has westernmost stained glass window signed 'Andrew Stoddart,
Nottingham, 1939'. Fittings include traceried and crested
stalls, desks and altar rail with fleur de lys ends. Oak prayer
desk, traceried pulpit and eagle lectern, oak, 1908. Brass eagle
lectern, 1933. Traceried panelled oak benches with shaped ends,
1908. Panelled octagonal ashlar font with clustered shaft stem,
1908. C17 oak chest with carving. Memorials include re-set
slab, 1699, brass shields 1731 and 1736 and C20 brass. Marble
and slate wall tablet, 1908, and alabaster tablet, 1899. Brass
war memorial panel, c.1920.
Listing NGR: SK4902455834
This List entry has been amended to add sources for War Memorials Online and the War Memorials Register. These sources were not used in the compilation of this List entry but are added here as a guide for further reading, 16 August 2017.
External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.
Other nearby listed buildings