This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.9846 / 51°59'4"N
Longitude: 0.2131 / 0°12'47"E
OS Eastings: 552071
OS Northings: 234107
OS Grid: TL520341
Mapcode National: GBR MCG.DPP
Mapcode Global: VHHL9.NC0Y
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 February 1967
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1275990
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409715
Location: Newport, Uttlesford, Essex, CB11
Civil Parish: Newport
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Newport St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
NEWPORT CHURCH STREET
Church of St Mary
TL 5234 38/571 21.2.67
Large cruciform flint church with stone dressings. The tall west tower
of 1858 by G. E. Prichett has set back buttresses, castellated parapet and
octagonal castellated corner turrets. The nave, chancel and south porch
also have castellated parapets. The walls of the chancel and the north
and south transepts were built 1220-40. The south aisle was added in the
early C14 and the north aisle in 1390. The west tower rebuilt in 1858,
was of the late C15. The 2 storeyed south porch was built in the C15.
In the C16 clerestoreys were added to the nave and chancel. The church
was restored in the C19 and the chancel in 1911.
The continuous development of the church from the C13 to the C19 is reflected
in its architectural features and is interesting. The interior has some
fine fittings including a fine C13 carved altar chest with oil paintings
on the underside of the lid which are said to be the earliest oil paintings
on wood known to English art. The font is early C13, with gabled trefoil
arches. The font cover is C15. The screen is C15 and there is an oak swivel
top lectern with an octagonal stem, ornamented with tracery panels. The
north trancept window has some C14 glass. There are C16 and C17 brasses.
The church is situated at about the centre of the mainly linear village
and forms the focal point of an important group of buildings. Graded for
its architectural, historical and topographical value. (RCHM 1).
Listing NGR: TL5207134107
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings