This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.3007 / 53°18'2"N
Longitude: -2.2336 / 2°14'1"W
OS Eastings: 384526
OS Northings: 378216
OS Grid: SJ845782
Mapcode National: GBR DZV8.6J
Mapcode Global: WHBBF.N9KG
Entry Name: Alderley Edge Methodist Church and Church Hall
Listing Date: 6 July 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276169
English Heritage Legacy ID: 58217
Location: Alderley Edge, Cheshire East, SK9
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Alderley Edge
Built-Up Area: Wilmslow
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Alderley Edge St Philip and St James
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 87 NW ALDERLEY EDGE C.P. CHAPEL ROAD
4/51 Alderley Edge Methodist
Church and Church Hall.
Methodist Church and Church Hall: 1863 by Hayley and Sons.
Hammer-dressed buff sandstone with ashlar dressings, Welsh slate,
stone-coped roof. Nave, 2 side chapels and a south-west tower with
Church Hall behind. South road front of 2 storeys has a 4-light
window under a continuous label mould below and a sharply pointed
4-light window with a rose and cusped tracery. The 3-stage tower at
the right has a 2-light lancet below a single lancet above supported
on colonnettes and with dog tooth work on jambs. 3rd stage has
2-light louvred bell openings. Tower carries a broached spire with
lucarnes. To the sides, nave has 3 gabled 2-light windows with
septfoil or octofoil upper tracery and the projecting chapel has a
large rose window. The Church Hall is a further range to the rear
with simpler windows.
Interior: Door opens into porch under west gallery. Porch has line
of trefoil headed windows and the gallery is jettied forward with a
coving. Nave roof trusses of arch-braced principals on stone corbels,
collar and kingpost. Pointed chancel arch on short marble
colonnettes, the carved foliage on the capitals and the corbels is
open to the south and closed to the north. Heavy pine pulpit and
lectern with trefoil headed panels on colonnettes. Organ by A Young
and Sons Manchester 1881.
The church has a cast-iron bell said to be one of only two in the
Listing NGR: SJ8452678216
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings