This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.4737 / 52°28'25"N
Longitude: -1.8863 / 1°53'10"W
OS Eastings: 407820
OS Northings: 286203
OS Grid: SP078862
Mapcode National: GBR 63C.D3
Mapcode Global: VH9Z3.824Z
Plus Code: 9C4WF4F7+FF
Entry Name: The White Swan Public House
Listing Date: 10 December 1991
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276272
English Heritage Legacy ID: 409971
Location: Bordesley and Highgate, Birmingham, B12
Electoral Ward/Division: Nechells
Built-Up Area: Birmingham
Traditional County: Warwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): West Midlands
Church of England Parish: Birmingham St Martin-in-the-Bull-Ring
Church of England Diocese: Birmingham
BIRMINGHAM BRADFORD STREET
SP 08 NE
7/10007 The White Swan Public House
Public house. 1899-1900 by James and Lister Lea for Ansells Brewery.
Red brick and terracotta (terracotta probably from Hathern Station.
Brick and Terracotta Company of Loughborough). Slate roof with coped
gables, terracotta dentilled eaves and pierced ridge tiles. Brick axial
and gable end stacks.
Plan: Situated on corner site. Public bar with entrance on Bradford
Street and corner; passage to smoke-room at back on left and outdoor
and passage to stairs on right in Birchall Street. Jacobean or Flemish
Exterior: 2 storeys and attic. 4-bay front to Bradford Street. Bays
2 and 4 Dutch gabled; canted corner with canted terracotta oriel over
doorway and 3-bay front to right on Birchall Street, the left bay
Dutch gabled, the right plainer lower 2-storey range. Terracotta
ground floor with panelled plinth, the large bar windows and doorways
have cable-moulded arrises, the central doorway on Bradford Street has
segmental pediment on consoles in the entablature above. Bar windows
have leaded panes and stained glass. Recessed wooden canted bays on
first floor with pulvinated friezes and ogee lead canopies and simple-
light windows between with cornices. The attic windows have cornices
and aprons and are in Dutch gables with flanking finials and pendants
and aedicules at apex with semi-circular pediments; pedimented dormer
between gables on Bradford Street front.
Interior: Good Minton tiled interior with friezes in public bar,
passages, stairs and outdoor. Public bar also has tiled ceiling and
panelled front to bar counter and pilastered bar back with arched
mirrors and balustrade and clock above. Partition in public bar has
been removed; but entrance lobby survives; ceiling lined in Lincrusta
paper. Passages have engraved glass in doors and- particularly good
wall tiling which also lines stair well; the stairs have moulded
balustrade and newels. Smoke-room has tiled frieze and small iron
chimney piece and grate.
Source: A Crawford, M Dunn and R Thorne. Birmingham Parks 1880-1939.
Listing NGR: SP0782086203
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings