This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.5567 / 55°33'24"N
Longitude: -1.6372 / 1°38'13"W
OS Eastings: 422984
OS Northings: 629280
OS Grid: NU229292
Mapcode National: GBR K405.BX
Mapcode Global: WHC0T.TLKJ
Entry Name: Church of St Ebba
Listing Date: 22 December 1969
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1276786
English Heritage Legacy ID: 408485
Location: Beadnell, Northumberland, NE67
Civil Parish: Beadnell
Built-Up Area: Beadnell
Traditional County: Northumberland
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Church of England Parish: Beadnell St Ebba
Church of England Diocese: Newcastle
BEADNELL BEADNELL VILLAGE
NU 22 NW
12/71 Church of St. Ebba
Parish church. c.1740, enlarged 1797. Partly Gothicized c.1860, possibly by
F.R. Wilson of Alnwick, and again, largely internally, in 1889. Ashlar with
Lakeland slate roof.
West porch-tower, nave, chancel and vestries.
C18 west tower has C19 doorway with multi-moulded surround. Band above.
2-light bell openings with Y-tracery, clock above. Concave cornice with large
angle gargoyles. Short ashlar spire with octagonal pierced screen, the base
which is said to be of 1860 but is probably C18 Gothick; it has a pair of
lancets on each side with quatrefoil above each; buttresses between each lancet
have grotesque heads at mid-point and short crocketed finials. Flanking the
tower are lean-to vestries of C18 masonry with plinths and bands, and 2-light
windows of 1889.
4-bay nave with plinth and sill band. On south side three C18 windows with
Y-tracery, and one Geometric window of 1860. North side has windows of 1860;
outer bays have small lancets; centre bays have odd Geometric tracery under
gables with cross finials; between centre bays abuttress capped by gabled
tabernacle with 4 colonettes.
Chancel has lean-to later C19 vestry on south side. 3-light Decorated east
window and 2-light Geometric north window.
Interior: Arts-and-Crafts screen in C15 style. Stained glass of 1854 in
chancel, and 1851 on south side of nave, one window signed by William Wailes,
others possibly by him also; one signed Baguley, Newcastle. 1939-45 war
memorial window by H.E. Nuttgens of High Wycombe
Panelled barrel-vaulted ceiling.
Listing NGR: NU2298429280
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings