History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St James

A Grade II* Listed Building in Southstoke, Bath and North East Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.3496 / 51°20'58"N

Longitude: -2.3653 / 2°21'55"W

OS Eastings: 374654

OS Northings: 161234

OS Grid: ST746612

Mapcode National: GBR 0QW.8TZ

Mapcode Global: VH96S.YBDQ

Entry Name: Church of St James

Listing Date: 1 February 1956

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1277046

English Heritage Legacy ID: 407930

Location: Southstoke, Bath and North East Somerset, BA2

County: Bath and North East Somerset

Civil Parish: Southstoke

Built-Up Area: Bath

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Wellow

Listing Text

ST 76 SW SOUTH STOKE

6/196 CHURCH OF ST JAMES

1.2.56 II*

G.V.

Anglican Parish Church. C12, altered C15; restored with chancel and south aisle
rebuilt in 1845 and c. 1850 by G.P. Manners of Bath. Consists of west tower,
nave and north porch, south aisle and chancel. Coursed squared rubble and
freestone with stone slate roofs. The west tower is low, but of 3 stages with
diagonal buttresses; embattled parapet with pinnacles and gargoyles; single
2-light bell chamber windows and 2-light west window; polygonal stair turret to
north-east with embattled parapet and spirelet. Projecting gabled north porch.
The nave and south aisles have C19 2-light Perpendicular style windows; cusped
lancet windows to chancel. C12 south doorway with one order of columns, both
patterned with lozenges and nailhead ornament (east) and fleur-de-lys ornament
with dots (west); scalloped capitals; lintel with low pitched top and chip
carving; tympanum with trellis pattern of roll mouldings; arch with rosettes and
quatrefoils to inner part, triple zig-zag to centre and outer guilloche band.
Interior. South arcade of 1845, 3 bays with octagonal piers and chamfered
arches. Pulpit: probably C15, recut, ashlar with panelled sides on a stem.
(N. Pevsner, The Buildings of England : North Somerset and Bristol, 1958).


Listing NGR: ST7465461234

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.