This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0534 / 52°3'12"N
Longitude: 0.5703 / 0°34'12"E
OS Eastings: 576327
OS Northings: 242559
OS Grid: TL763425
Mapcode National: GBR PFT.706
Mapcode Global: VHJHK.TNV8
Entry Name: Church of St Mary the Virgin
Listing Date: 21 June 1962
Last Amended: 17 May 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277192
English Heritage Legacy ID: 407526
Location: Ovington, Braintree, Essex, CO10
Civil Parish: Ovington
Traditional County: Essex
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Essex
Church of England Parish: Ovington
Church of England Diocese: Chelmsford
TL 74 SE OVINGTON CHURCH ROAD
3/161 Church of St Mary
21.6.62 The Virgin
(formerly listed as
Church of St Mary)
Parish Church. C12 origin Nave. C14 rebuilt Chancel. South porch and Bell
Turret of uncertain date possibly C15/16. Walls of flint rubble with no Chancel
division. Red plain riled roof kith coping and cross to east. Weatherboard
south Bell Turret, with hipped leaded roof and cross finial and louvres to each
face. Angled 2 stage buttresses to each corner. East Window. C19/20 of 3
cusped lights with 6 quatrefoils over in a 2 centre arched head above which is a
small round headed stone moulding with 2 quatrefoils. North Wall. 2 C14 one
cinquefoiled light windows, one late C14 2 trefoiled ogee light window with
simple tracery and segmental pointed head. To right a C14 doorway with moulded
jambs and 2 centred arch with moulded label. Plain vertically boarded door.
Between the one light windows is a carved stone with round arch with flat head
over, possibly a monument from elsewhere recently inserted. West Wall. C19/20
2 cusped 2 centre headed lights in a 2 centre head with C14 cill, splays and rear
arch, beneath which is small plaque. South Wall. 2 two light ogee windows
similar to those in North Wall and a similar one light window, between which is a
late C14 doorway with pointed moulded arch under a moulded label. Nailed plank
and muntin door with 2 wrought iron hinges. An old stone carving in C20 setting
has been placed over the door and another stone setting forming a cross is to the
left of the South porch. An enriched ogee headed niche with a Madonna and Child
is to the right of the South Porch. South Porch. Timber framed and plastered.
Red plain tiled roof with Iona cross at apex. Chamfered wall plates and cambered
lintel. South doorway uniform with North doorway. Vertically boarded and nailed
door with 2 wrought hinges. Interior Bell Turret on 2 heavily braced portal
frames. Stop chamfered beams. The Roof is ceiled and shows 5 cants. Moulded
wall plates and a chamfered timber above the ashlar pieces. Brick Floor.
Tub Front. C12. Stone on square base with angle bosses. Late C14 Foliate Glass
fragment in South East window. C19 Communion Rails. C19 Stained glass in East
and West windows. Piscina, C14 square head with circular foiled drain. Chest.
Plain and iron bound with lock and hasps. Date unknown. Floor Slabs.
(I) Hannah and Timothy Felton etc, 1683, 1964. (2) Timothy and Susannah Felton
and Daughter Easter Firmin. 1665, 1683, 1713. Wall Plaque. Rev C Fisher, 1839
and Francis Brise daughter of T Ruggles of Spains Hall 1855. (Panelled pulpit.
C19/20). Wall plaque John Fisher, student of East India College, Haileybury and
his wife Eliza. 6 April 1829, aged 17. RCHM 1.
Listing NGR: TL7632742559
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings