This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 50.6119 / 50°36'42"N
Longitude: -4.4569 / 4°27'24"W
OS Eastings: 226264
OS Northings: 82016
OS Grid: SX262820
Mapcode National: GBR NG.BT58
Mapcode Global: FRA 17KG.1H4
Plus Code: 9C2QJG6V+Q6
Entry Name: Coombe Farmhouse
Listing Date: 10 May 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1277522
English Heritage Legacy ID: 431390
Location: Lewannick, Cornwall, PL15
Civil Parish: Lewannick
Traditional County: Cornwall
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cornwall
Church of England Parish: Lewannick
Church of England Diocese: Truro
SX 28 SE
2/63 Coombe Farmhouse
Farmhouse. 1744 for William Coombe, (datestone) probably with earlier origins.
Rendered stone rubble. Rag slate roof with gable ends. Stone rubble end stacks and
two stone rubble axial stacks.
Plan: The original plan is uncertain. Although the house has a datestone 1744 and
there is documentary evidence stating that W. Coombe built the house in 1744
(information from owners), it is possible that the house has earlier origins. The
unusual arrangement is probably the result of remodelling and rebuilding. The house
has a 4 room and lobby entrance plan, the entrance to right of centre with lower end
to right, heated by end stack, hall to left heated by an axial stack, and large inner
room beyond heated by an end stack. The thick cross wall between the hall and inner
room contains the flue of the chamber fireplace.
The front elevation is rendered but the rear elevation shows several straight joints;
it is possible that the house originally had a 2-room and through passage plan, the
lower end rebuilt in the C18. The hall would have been heated as now by an axial
stack, which would have backed onto a passage, the position of which would correspond
with the existing back door. The internal details and straight joint on the rear
below the back door would suggest the lower end was rebuilt in the C18. There is a
circa later C17 stair turret which was probably added to the rear of the hall. The
purpose of the blocked openings on the front and rear wall of the hall are uncertain
although, on the front, it would appear that there was a second entrance close to the
The large inner room may be an C18 extension. There is a C19 outbuilding on the left
hand end and the C19 one-room plan extension on right was reduced to a single storey
in the C20.
Exterior: Two storeys. Asymmetrical 4-window front. Entrance to right of centre
with C19 6-panel door. The chamfered granite lintel above has been reset and the
ogee stop on left does not correspond with the jambs. C19 16-pane sash to right and
blocked possibly door opening to left with C19 16-pane sash beyond with dressed key
block and datestone 1744 above. C20 2-light casement lighting inner room. First
floor with four 16-pane sashes, several replaced in C20.
Interior: Hall fireplace has chamfered granite lintel with roughly cut granite
jambs. Chamfered floor joists with run-out stops. Remains of circa C18 hall bench on
front wall. Stone treads to stair in turret to rear. Inner room has C20 grate and
plastered ceilings. Lower end has roughly cut lintel to fireplace and retains C19
Cornish range. Chamfered beams.
The roof structure was not accessible. A full inspection of the roof may help date
this house more accurately and provide further information on the development of the
Listing NGR: SX2626482016
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings