History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Marlesford Hall

A Grade II* Listed Building in Marlesford, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.1766 / 52°10'35"N

Longitude: 1.3968 / 1°23'48"E

OS Eastings: 632345

OS Northings: 258593

OS Grid: TM323585

Mapcode National: GBR WP9.KZ9

Mapcode Global: VHM7T.5K97

Plus Code: 9F4359GW+MP

Entry Name: Marlesford Hall

Listing Date: 21 September 1983

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278408

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405871

Location: Marlesford, East Suffolk, Suffolk, IP13

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Marlesford

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Marlesford St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Marlesford

Description

TM 35 NW MARLESFORD

3/91 Marlesford Hall
-

- II*


House. Circa 1790, possibly by Sir John Soane, for William Shuldham; library
wing to south-west added 1903; a further early C20 wing to north-west was
demolished in 1952. White brick, stone band cornice to eaves, slated roof. 2
storeys. Main front faces south: 7 window range, 2:3:2, the centre bays set
forward slightly with a pediment over; sash windows with glazing bars in cased
frames, flat brick arches, paired louvred shutters. Central doorway, inset;
paired glazed doors with small panes, semi-circular fanlight with decorative
glazing bars; semi-circular wooden portico with 2 columns and 2 pilasters,
frieze and dentil cornice; central first floor window within semi-circular
headed recess, shouldered architrave, sill supported on 2 brackets. Central
bays with stone band at first floor level, pediment with modillions, stucco to
tympanum within which is coat of arms of Shuldham family. Library extension to
left hand side, set back from main front, in matching style: 3 window range, 3-
bay loggia. East front with early C20 stone porch with glazed double doors.
Interior with fully panelled drawing room, screen of 2 fluted columns and
pilasters, capitals decorated with acanthus motif; several good fireplaces with
well carved marble and wooden surrounds; library decorated with wall paintings
of sporting scenes.


Listing NGR: TM3234558593

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.