History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Holford Charity, Farmhouse

A Grade II Listed Building in Clutton, Cheshire West and Chester

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.0854 / 53°5'7"N

Longitude: -2.8032 / 2°48'11"W

OS Eastings: 346297

OS Northings: 354542

OS Grid: SJ462545

Mapcode National: GBR 7F.9PKW

Mapcode Global: WH88V.XQ91

Entry Name: Holford Charity, Farmhouse

Listing Date: 1 March 1967

Last Amended: 19 June 1984

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1278718

English Heritage Legacy ID: 405127

Location: Clutton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3

County: Cheshire West and Chester

Civil Parish: Clutton

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire

Church of England Parish: Coddington St Mary

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Coddington

Listing Text

SJ 45 SE
8/53

CLUTTON C.P.
HOLYWELL LANE (West Side)
Holford Charity, Farmhouse

(Formerly listed as Charity Farmhouse under Clutton Village)

1/3/1967

II

Farmhouse circa 1600, altered. Oak small-frame; panels contain later
brickwork, painted. Slate roof. 1 1/2 storeys, 3 windows. Projecting,
jettied cross-gable right, on sandstone plinth. The left wing, with 2
gabled dormers, has former farm building, probably C18, as left
extension. Part of rear wall of left wing is rebuilt in sandstone,
painted. Vernacular small pane wood casements, probably C19.
Replaced small-pane glazed door, with ridge chimney of brick opposite.
Interior: Lobby entrance with ingle nook behind. A pair of crucks
(in line with hood-beam) are joined by arched brace with
sharply-curved angle-struts in bedroom above. The frame is exposed,
almost complete, internally. Stair with winders, replaced in deal.
Boarded doors.
John Holford of Congleton in 1712 granted the "messuage or tenement of
his in Clutton in trust from his death with income of £4 p.a. to
William Cooper, Schoolmaster of Clutton, and after his death to such
poor indigent housekeepers, or others, inhabitants of the township of
Clutton as should be real objects of charity." (Report of the
Commissionere inquiring concerning Charities - Cheshire Record
Office).


Listing NGR: SJ4629754542

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.