This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.0987 / 53°5'55"N
Longitude: -2.7556 / 2°45'20"W
OS Eastings: 349503
OS Northings: 355988
OS Grid: SJ495559
Mapcode National: GBR 7H.8WNS
Mapcode Global: WH88W.NC0T
Entry Name: Bolesworth Castle
Listing Date: 4 January 1984
Last Amended: 19 June 1984
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1278804
English Heritage Legacy ID: 404734
Location: Broxton, Cheshire West and Chester, CH3
County: Cheshire West and Chester
Civil Parish: Broxton
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: Tattenhall St Alban
Church of England Diocese: Chester
SJ 45 NE BROXTON C.P. BOLESWORTH LANE
5/16 Bolesworth Castle
4/1/1984 (formerly listed under
GV II* Bolesworth Castle Park)
Castellated house 1829, by William Cole (his principal work) for
G.Walmesley, the interior partly reworked by Clough Williams Ellis for
G.Barbour in 1920-3. Ashlar sandstone. 2 storeys with turretted
centrepiece of 3 storeys. Plinth, band at 1st floor, battlements.
Wide canted 2-storey bays at centre and right end; round bay at left,
beyond which is single-storey wing ending in an octagonal 2-storey
turret. 3 windows in each projecting bay, 2 between. Cross casements
(bars removed from lower storey and some from upper) under labels.
Clough Williams Ellis partly classicized the right end (not visible
from front) with round-headed French windows to lower storey and
balustrade in place of battlements. A Gothic archway over the rear
drive links the house to the sandstone cliff behind.
Interior: 3 front rooms, with Gothick doorways and plaster ceilings
are substantially William Cole's (some details damaged). Behind them
is a central open-well stair with cantilevered stone steps, iron
balusters and mahogany rail and round-arched openings to corridors
upstairs; a small circular glazed dome over. Right of the stair is
Clough Williams Ellis's galleried classical hall with pilasters,
frieze, oval ceiling panel and statue of Diana with hound, in niche.
6-panel doors in shoulder-arched openings with panelled reveals.
Listing NGR: SJ4950355988
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings