History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Andrew's Church

A Grade II* Listed Building in Brockley, Suffolk

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.168 / 52°10'4"N

Longitude: 0.6706 / 0°40'14"E

OS Eastings: 582736

OS Northings: 255553

OS Grid: TL827555

Mapcode National: GBR QFX.2C7

Mapcode Global: VHJH1.KRWW

Plus Code: 9F425M9C+56

Entry Name: St Andrew's Church

Listing Date: 14 July 1955

Last Amended: 27 January 1984

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279218

English Heritage Legacy ID: 403642

Location: Brockley, West Suffolk, Suffolk, IP29

County: Suffolk

Civil Parish: Brockley

Traditional County: Suffolk

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk

Church of England Parish: Brockley St Andrew

Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich

Find accommodation in
Brockley Green

Listing Text

TL 85 NW BROCKLEY HAWK'S LANE

4/39 St. Andrew's Church
(Formerly listed as Church
14.7.55 of St.Andrew)

II*


Church, mediaeval, altered 1866. Nave, chancel, west tower, south porch,
north vestry. Flint and septaria rubble, partially rendered; limestone
dressings. Slated roofs with parapet gables. Some early C14 features
including, in the chancel:- 2 2-light south windows with curvilinear tracery,
3-light east window, double piscina with separate arches. In the south nave
wall an ogee-headed tomb-canopy, probably of Alexander de Walsham (died
c.1338), of Brockley Hall. Later C14 alterations include:- 2-light windows
and south doorways to nave and chancel; nave entrance door, oak battened and
boarded with iron knocker and escutcheon; chancel arch with pilasters having
moulded capital and base and pair of flanking image pedestals; steps up to
rood-loft formed with dropped window cill having inset piscina bowl. Tower
added to west and late C15; crenellated parapets, 2-light belfry openings,
diagonal buttresses, frieze at plinth level, with flushwork tracery and the
name Ricardus Copping on the south side, 3-light west window with tracery, tall
tower arch with pilasters. South porch added C15; timber-framed with arched
doorway and diamond mullioned side-lights, flint and ashlar plinth (repaired in
red brick), gabled slated roof with simple crown posts. Extensive alterations
of 1866, including: removal of narrow tower between nave and chancel (evidence
visible in south wall); replacement of chancel roof by a 7-canted roof,
boarded with ribs and bosses; removal of nave roof and replacement with
scissor-braced coupled rafter roof; construction of new vestry against north
wall; oak poppy-head pews and choir-stalls, some reusing C16 poppy-heads and
benchends; altar reredos in 7 oak-framed panels with figure paintings;
windows in the north wall inserted or, perhaps, unblocked and restored. For
details and engravings of the church before alterations, see John Gage, History
of Thingoe Hundred, 1838.


Listing NGR: TL8273655553

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.