This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.5058 / 51°30'20"N
Longitude: -2.6325 / 2°37'56"W
OS Eastings: 356199
OS Northings: 178725
OS Grid: ST561787
Mapcode National: GBR JP.J6KF
Mapcode Global: VH88F.BF51
Entry Name: Blaise Castle House and Attached Wall
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279500
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379717
Location: Bristol, BS10
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Henbury and Brentry
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Henbury
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST 5678 NW,
Henbury (South West side),
Blaise Castle House and attached wall
(Formerly Listed as: HENBURY ROAD (West side) Blaise Castle House (City Museum))
House, now museum. 1795-9. By William Paty. For JS Harford.
Extended 1831-2 by CR Cockerell for J Harford Junior.
Limestone ashlar and render with a slate roof. Double-depth
plan around a central hall. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys;
5-window range. 1:3:1 fenestration with a pedimented and
slightly projecting centre.
A central semicircular Ionic portico on a low platform, banded
square-cut rustication to the ground floor, first-floor plat
band, modillion cornice and balustrade. An exedra behind the
portico has 2 niches and a swag frieze with bucrania, a
half-glazed door with a fine fanlight; 6/6-pane sashes with
thick bars, with moulded architraves below sunken panels on
the first floor.
Garden front remodelled c1832, a central ground-floor arcade
with French windows, altered to match those of the Ionic
tetrastyle portico to the right, added by Cockerell as an
To left of front a lower 2-storey service wing, extended by
Cockerell, of L-shape plan with front left wing; facade of
1831-2 is rendered with rusticated ground floor beneath a plat
band, moulded cornice and balustrade; 3/3-pane sashes in
INTERIOR: a complete Neoclassical decorative scheme by
Cockerell, with statuary collected by Harford Jnr. on his 1832
Italian tour. Large Portland-flagged hall with square columns
and medallions; wide, central open-well stair with moulded
stone steps and cast-iron balusters, with panels from the
Parthenon and a niche with a Michelangelo cast; plaster panels
and cornices to the walls and ceilings, marble and plaster
fireplaces, with a cast-iron basket in the Dining Room; the
Library has fluted Corinthian columns; the Exhibition Room has
scagliola distyle-in-antis Corinthian columns, wainscotting,
and an oval lantern with a plaster surround; the first-floor
stair well has balustraded arches; mahogany 6-panel doors; a
dogleg stair in the service wing has stone treads and
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: an attached rubble wall enclosing the
yard to the east end, ramped up to 2 segmental-arched openings
with Pennant dressings.
HISTORICAL NOTE: the house is set in a landscape planned c1796
by Humphry Repton, John Nash's partner at the time, whose Red
Book is preserved in the House, and Nash may through Repton
have had an influence on the house.
(Gomme, A., Jenner, M. and Little, B.,: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 264; The Buildings of England:
Pevsner, N.,: North Somerset and Bristol: London: 1958-: 468;
Temple, N.,: John Nash and the Village Picturesque: Gloucester:
Listing NGR: ST5619978725
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings