History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

No 1 and Attached Wall to North East

A Grade II Listed Building in Minehead, Somerset

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 51.2104 / 51°12'37"N

Longitude: -3.4811 / 3°28'52"W

OS Eastings: 296636

OS Northings: 146729

OS Grid: SS966467

Mapcode National: GBR LJ.41XL

Mapcode Global: VH5JY.MT1Z

Entry Name: No 1 and Attached Wall to North East

Listing Date: 4 July 1952

Last Amended: 30 September 1994

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1279764

English Heritage Legacy ID: 391149

Location: Minehead, Somerset West and Taunton, Somerset, TA24

County: Somerset

Civil Parish: Minehead

Built-Up Area: Minehead

Traditional County: Somerset

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Somerset

Find accommodation in
Minehead

Listing Text


MINEHEAD

SS9646 CHURCH STEPS
900-1/3/14 (West side)
04/07/52 No.1
and attached wall to north-east
(Formerly Listed as:
CHURCH STEPS
(West side)
No.1)

GV II

House. C16. Red sandstone rubble with some limestone, rendered
to the north-east; C20 gabled plain tile roof with exposed
rafter-ends; large external rubblestone stack off-set at and
above the eaves with brick shaft to front (north-east) facade;
rubblestone corbelled stack to first-floor left return.
2-unit plan with entry to right of hall with lateral stack to
left of door, stair bay projecting to rear and first-floor
room with corbelled stack.
2 storeys; 3-window range. Flat arches to mostly 2-light
hollow-moulded pegged oak-framed windows with C20 leaded
lights, some with grilles; similar small single-light window
at eaves level to stair bay at rear. To right of the main
stack a restored C16 chamfered oak doorcase and a planked and
studded door with strap hinges, over it a small single-light
window in an oak frame; to the far right are two C19
three-light casement windows.
INTERIOR: not inspected but noted as have a stone spiral stair
to the rear.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: a rubblestone wall approx 2m high and 3m
long is attached to the south-east corner.
HISTORY: in 1731 the Poor Rate became so burdensome that the
parish meeting was convinced that it would be more economical
to gather the poor together in a workhouse, so they leased
Punter's tenement at the foot of Church Steps for a rent of
ยป6.5s per annum.
(Binding H: Minehead: A New History: Minehead: 1977-: 136).


Listing NGR: SS9663646729

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.