This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.466 / 52°27'57"N
Longitude: 1.7441 / 1°44'38"E
OS Eastings: 654413
OS Northings: 291933
OS Grid: TM544919
Mapcode National: GBR YTL.9S2
Mapcode Global: VHN43.58WX
Plus Code: 9F43FP8V+CJ
Entry Name: South Lodge
Listing Date: 12 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1279944
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391328
Location: Lowestoft, East Suffolk, Suffolk, NR33
Electoral Ward/Division: Kirkley
Built-Up Area: Lowestoft
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Kirkley St Peter and St John
Church of England Diocese: Norwich
TM59SW KIRKLEY CLIFF
914-1/3/52 (West side)
12/01/89 South Lodge
Pair of houses, converted to flats 1990. 1864 by W.O.
Chambers. Red brick with gault brick dressings. Slate roof.
Square main block with external full-height porches to the
north and south returns, the former rising above eaves and
elaborated into a tower.
3 storeys in 3 bays. Rusticated brick quoins. Each storey
divided by moulded brick string courses. Two 2-storey canted
bays fitted with cross casements. Between them is one 2/2 sash
each floor. The attic storey sashes are all of 1990. Modillion
eaves cornice below hipped roof. One wall stack north and
south, with gault brick dressings. The south porch is entered
through a 1990 double glazed door under a rounded arch. Paired
rounded lancets each floor above. The north porch is
externally of 4 stages: 6-panel fielded doorway (only the 2
lower panels in place at time of Review) within a round-headed
archway with keyblock. Paired round-headed lancets to each
floor above, blind to the upper 2 stages on the east side.
Modillion eaves cornice below a swept pyramid roof terminating
in iron cresting.
INTERIOR. The north porch leads to a staircase hall. Stick
baluster staircase with a ramped and wreathed handrail. Census
return of 1881 gives Ellen and Margaret Ringer as mistresses
of a school with 25 boarding pupils. It later became part of
South Lodge School where Benjamin Britten was a pupil from the
age of 8 in 1921 to 1928. He became head boy and captain of
cricket. The headmaster then was TJE Sewell. Part of the
extensive plan for housing originally devised in 1846 by JL
Clemence for Sir Samuel Morton Peto for the development of
Lowestoft as a fashionable holiday resort, made possible by
the building of the railway by Peto in the 1840's.
(Information provided by the Suffolk Preservation Society).
Listing NGR: TM5441391933
Other nearby listed buildings