This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 53.2614 / 53°15'40"N
Longitude: -2.1289 / 2°7'43"W
OS Eastings: 391500
OS Northings: 373825
OS Grid: SJ915738
Mapcode National: GBR FZKQ.XL
Mapcode Global: WHBBP.89H3
Plus Code: 9C5V7V6C+GF
Entry Name: Little Street Mill
Listing Date: 18 April 1990
Last Amended: 28 October 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1280007
English Heritage Legacy ID: 391022
Location: Macclesfield, Cheshire East, SK10
County: Cheshire East
Civil Parish: Macclesfield
Built-Up Area: Macclesfield
Traditional County: Cheshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Cheshire
Church of England Parish: St Michael and All Angels, Macclesfield
Church of England Diocese: Chester
Nos.6-12 (Even) and Little Street Mill
(Formerly Listed as: LITTLE STREET
Little Street Mill and Nos.6, 8, 10 and 12 (inclusive))
Former integrated silk mill, comprising mill, dye-house,
manager's and workers' housing, with workshops and warehouse.
1804 (map and documentary evidence supplied by East Cheshire
Textile Mill Survey), extended in 1909 (datestone), and later
C20 (to W). Brick in English garden wall bond; mostly Welsh
PLAN: the mill and the houses form the 2 long sides of the
mill yard and are connected along the N end by the 1909
stable/warehouse/entrance range, the entrance giving on to
King Edward Street.
EXTERIOR: Mill: 3 storeys, 7-window range. E elevation
(towards yard): original windows all with brick cambered
arches. 2nd-floor windows with original timber frames with 36
or 40 panes. 8 windows and a taking-in door to 1st floor, the
windows with renewed 2-light casement with glazing bars.
Ground floor with 5 original window openings (renewed
casements) and one large C20 plate-glass window and large
double doors. Stair turret to extreme left (SE), an early
addition under graduated slate roof.
C19 building of uncertain origin to W (possibly an engine
house); the original horse-powered and early steam engine
houses replaced with the 1909 range. W elevation of mill
obscured externally by late C19 extensions, but fenestration
survives largely intact.
1909 range. For Wood and Son, victuallers. 2 storeys, 7-window
range, brick cambered window arch and loading door to 1st
floor level; large wooden doors and engineering brick jambs.
Engineering brick to rounded corners.
Little Street elevation, 2 windows (on front), and later
insertions to ground floor. Domestic ranges (to Little
Street): manager's house, 3 double-depth with rear central
stairs; workshop accommodation to upper floor (2 large 3-light
windows under flat arches, C20 casements); 2 large 3-light C20
casements in original cambered arched openings to 1st floor;
similar windows to ground floor flank central pegged doorway
with recessed panelled door. End stacks.
Adjacent range, 2 storeys with one large 16-pane sash window
to 1st floor, C20 window and half glazed door below. Mill yard
elevation: some early features including tall window to
stairs, and pegged door surround. Two C20 windows in early
INTERIOR: mill; ground floor with (apparently) inserted
cast-iron columns, 1st floor with square wooden posts.
Open-tread stairs to SE and NE (1st and 2nd floors). King post
Manager's house with stair (ramped rail, turned newels and
stick balusters); roof with queen posts, upper king post, and
back purlins. (The garret door could only be unblocked from
the house side).
To the S is a stone-flagged dye-house (not inspected).
This is a good early example of an integrated factory site
where all the processes were conducted, and where the manager
and some of the workers also lived. The mill was originally
horse-powered (documentary evidence) but there appears to be
no structural evidence surviving for this.
Listing NGR: SJ 91500 73825
Other nearby listed buildings