History in Structure

Norland House and Attached Walls and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Clifton, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4589 / 51°27'32"N

Longitude: -2.6231 / 2°37'23"W

OS Eastings: 356802

OS Northings: 173511

OS Grid: ST568735

Mapcode National: GBR C1H.SV

Mapcode Global: VH88M.HL3G

Plus Code: 9C3VF95G+HP

Entry Name: Norland House and Attached Walls and Piers

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281026

English Heritage Legacy ID: 379070

ID on this website: 101281026

Location: Clifton, Bristol, BS8

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Clifton

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Clifton Christ Church with Emmanuel

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in



901-1/1/719 (South West side)
04/03/77 Norland House and attached walls and
(Formerly Listed as:
(West side)
Norlond House)


House. c1830. Probably by Charles Dyer. Extended 1878 by JH
Hirst. Limestone ashlar, ridge stacks, roof not visible.
Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys and basement;
7-window range.
Originally a symmetrical 5-window house, extended to the left
with a porch in the re-entrant. Banded basement to a plat
band, the earlier block has recessed end sections with inset
Greek Doric columns flanking ground-floor windows; the
3-window centre has end panels with incised Greek Key, fluted
pilasters to the windows between, to an entablature with a
string of metopes, and cornice. The band extends along the
recessed left-hand block, as does the cornice and parapet.
The large open porch has banded, recessed quadrant corners,
Greek Doric columns between incised corners, to a cornice and
parapet; the doorway has curved reveals, plate-glass overlight
and 2-leaf 6-panel doors. Taller central ground-floor windows,
those above with eared architraves and Greek Key panels above,
outer first-floor windows have semicircular-arched heads and
palmette panels above, all with aprons. Right-hand
ground-floor window has a tented verandah with cast-iron
railings; the entrance was formerly in the matching bay to the
INTERIOR: a 1878 lobby with steps up, marble panels to the
sides, and brown glazed panels of playing children.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached banded wall extends to the left
to 2 pairs of banded, capped piers with incised decoration,
separated by a carriage gateway with large timber gates. A
flagged road leads to the former stables (not included).
Strong stylistic links with houses by Charles Dyer on Litfield
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 266).

Listing NGR: ST5680273511

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.