This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 52.0232 / 52°1'23"N
Longitude: 1.1558 / 1°9'21"E
OS Eastings: 616614
OS Northings: 240786
OS Grid: TM166407
Mapcode National: GBR TN8.51S
Mapcode Global: VHLBZ.ZDDW
Entry Name: Wherstead Hall
Listing Date: 29 July 1987
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281415
English Heritage Legacy ID: 277300
Location: Wherstead, Babergh, Suffolk, IP9
Civil Parish: Wherstead
Traditional County: Suffolk
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Suffolk
Church of England Parish: Wherstead St Mary
Church of England Diocese: St.Edmundsbury and Ipswich
TM 1640 WHERSTEAD REDGATE LANE
(north side, off)
6/21 Wherstead Hall
House. Rear range. Probably C15 with early C16 and later alterations, early C17
front range with C19 alterations. Major renovation of 1985. Timber-framed, rendered
Front range on brick plinth and partly underbuilt in painted brick in Flemish bond.
Plain tile roofs. T-shaped on plan. Front range of 2 storeys and attic, rear range
originally open, floored over in C16. Front range has 3-bay frame. Off-centre early
C19 doorcase containing half-glazed door. 16-pane sashes in flush architravesto either
side. 6-pane sashes to 1st floor. Off-centre ridge stack, later stack rising through
roof at rear. Rear range: entrance adjacent to front range, added pent porch to end.
3 ground floor windows, 4 above, all casements of 1985. Centre ridge stack. Roof
hipped to right. Interior: front range, framing exposed including jowled posts and
wall plates, chamfered beams with barred ogee stops. Some original wide floor boards.
Much interior detailing dating to early C19 alterations. Butt and clasped purlin
roof with wind braces. Rear range: fine ceiling with deep transverse beam with double
ogee, roll, cavetto and fillet moulding, moulded joists. Roofed in two stages, that
part adjacent to front range is a rafter roof with some blackening. Crown post roof
to end also somewhat smoke blackened. 2 trusses, one crown post has been cut off and
left hanging. Later side purlins on queen struts. Off-centre stack rebuilt in brick
1985. Undergoing renovation at time of resurvey. Moated site.
Listing NGR: TM1661440786
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings