History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Gregory

A Grade II Listed Building in Cropton, Pickering, North Yorkshire

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 54.2936 / 54°17'37"N

Longitude: -0.8395 / 0°50'22"W

OS Eastings: 475633

OS Northings: 489290

OS Grid: SE756892

Mapcode National: GBR QLLS.1M

Mapcode Global: WHF9P.2BJR

Plus Code: 9C6X75V6+F6

Entry Name: Church of St Gregory

Listing Date: 10 November 1953

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1281522

English Heritage Legacy ID: 382429

Location: Cropton, Ryedale, North Yorkshire, YO18

County: North Yorkshire

District: Ryedale

Civil Parish: Cropton

Traditional County: Yorkshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): North Yorkshire

Church of England Parish: Cropton St Gregory

Church of England Diocese: York

Find accommodation in
Cropton

Listing Text

CROPTON CHURCH LANE
SE 7489-7589
(north side, off)
13/11 Church of St Gregory
10.11.53
- II

Church. Rebuilt in 1844, following a fire, by J B and W Atkinson. Squared
limestone on tooled plinth, with tooled dressings and slate roof. West
bellcote, 5-bay nave and north vestry; apsidal chancel. West end: central
offset buttress, flanked by round-headed windows in quoined surrounds with
coved hoodmoulds. Buttress rises to full height and is corbelled out to
become base of gabled bellcote. Bellcote has twin round-arched, roll-
moulded openings beneath coved hoodmoulds, and a centre shaft with scalloped
capital. Chevron-edged oculus in gable apex encloses a recessed quatrefoil.
Nave: south door in slightly projecting, pent-roofed porch: double board
doors beneath round, roll-moulded arch on shafts with scalloped capitals,
and chamfered hoodmould. Single window to west and 3 to east like those on
west end. Chamfered eaves course. On north side gabled vestry projects in
east end bay. Other bays contain similar windows, the middle 2 separated by
full-height offset buttress. East half-hexagonal apse, with window to each
side: half-hexagonal pointed roof. North. vestry has single window. Chimney
stack rises at base of nave roof, behind vestry. Coped gables with cross at
west end. Interior. C12 font on pedestal with nailhead moulding around
base. Wall tablet to Capt George Lee (d1794), of stone with relief carving
and incised lettering picked out in black.


Listing NGR: SE7563389290

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.