This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 50.6998 / 50°41'59"N
Longitude: -3.296 / 3°17'45"W
OS Eastings: 308568
OS Northings: 89710
OS Grid: SY085897
Mapcode National: GBR P7.4HJ0
Mapcode Global: FRA 37Z7.9RD
Entry Name: Church of St Luke
Listing Date: 30 June 1961
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1281606
English Heritage Legacy ID: 352391
Location: Newton Poppleford and Harpford, East Devon, Devon, EX10
District: East Devon
Civil Parish: Newton Poppleford and Harpford
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Newton Poppleford St Luke
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
SY 08 NE NEWTON POPPLEFORD HIGH STREET,
AND HARPFORD Newton Poppleford
5/69 Church of St Luke
Parish church, former Chapel of Ease. C15 tower, restored circa 1920; rest rebuilt
1875 by R Medley Fulford. Tower is local stone rubble with sandstone and Beerstone
quoins, Beerstone detail; the 1875 work is also local stone rubble with Beerstone
quoins and detail; red tile roof including bands of scallop-shaped tiles.
The West tower is all that remains of the medieval church. In 1875 the nave and
chancel were completely rebuilt under a continuous roof and a full length south
aisle built under a parallel roof the same height. At this time the entrance was
made through the old west tower. In the C20 the east end of the aisle was screened
off to create a vestry but a small room of 1875 off the south side of the tower in
the angle of the tower and aisle was probably built as the vestry.
The low tower is 2 stages and unbuttressed. There is a chamfered plinth and 2
soffit-moulded dripcourses, the upper one below the much-restored embattled parapet
and with worn carved gargoyle water spouts on the corners. A semi-hexagonal stair
turret projects from the north side, its stepped stone roof probably part of the C20
renovation. It is surmounted by a wrought-iron weather vane. It contains slit
windows, 1 with a trefoil head. The belfry has square-headed 2-light windows with
cinquefoil heads on each side. The west side includes the tall C15 doorway, a 2-
centred arch with moulded surround and contains C19 plank door. Directly above is a
restored 2-light window with Perpendicular tracery and a moulded hood. All around
the tower the putlog holes are open and there is a presumably early C20 iron
clockface on the north side.
In the angle of the tower and south aisle is the small vestry containing shoulder-
headed window and there is an C18 grave slab set into the wall. The C19 gable-ends
of the south aisle and chancel have Beerstone coping and all 3 contain similar 2-
light windows with Decorated-style tracery. The tracery is Beerstone and the arch
head includes some brick and the relieving arch over has ashlar voussoirs of
alternate purple sandstone and cream-coloured Beerstone. The west end of the aisle
has a secondary doorway in a 2-centred arch with chamfered surround. The south side
of the aisle contains 2 windows comprising twin trefoil-headed lancets. The east end
double gable includes 2 horizontal bands of Beerstone ashlar interrupted by the
windows described above. There is another band in each gable with lancet
ventilators above. On the north side the chancel also includes 2 bands of Beerstone
ashlar and has 2 more twin lancet windows. The north side of the nave breaks
forward a little and from left to right has a similar triple lancet, then 2 single
lancets and a twin lancet.
Interior. The tower acts as a porch. The 2 centred arch on the left (south) is the
C15 doorway to the stairs and opposite is a C19 copy to the vestry. The tall tower
arch, also C15, has a Beerstone arch with double-chamfered arch ring.
The nave has an open 4-bay roof of scissor-braced trusses with plain arch-bracing
springing from soffit-moulded corbels. The south aisle has an identical 6-bay roof
and chancel arch is made up of 2 more elaborate closely-set trusses with moulded and
cusped archbracing and the space between boarded and following the shape of arch
braces. The 4-bay arcade between nave and aisle comprises simple circular timber
piers with moulded caps propping the valley between the roofs. Plain square-headed
arch between chancel and aisle and a square brick pier between this arch and the
arcade. Along the north side of the nave, where the wall was thrown out a short
distance, there is a 3-bay arcade with octagonal timber piers with moulded bases and
caps. The walls are plastered except in the chancel which is whitewashed brick.
The chancel may have been naked brick originally. Plain tile floor and stone flags
to the chancel.
Nearly all the furnishings are of pine and of simple Gothic style. The exceptions
are the C20 lectern, the chancel screen, south aisle altar, and C17 font. The
chancel screen was made in 1903 for the Church of St. John, Swindon. It was erected
here in 1960. Built of oak, and Gothic in style it has blind tracery and a moulded
cornice enriched with 4-leaf decoration surmounted by crenellations. Each of the
panels of the wainscotting frames a carved female figure. They are representations
of motherhood and are described on a board on the north wall. The altar in the
south aisle is of identical craftmanship. The font is late C17 and of Beerstone.
The bowl is octoganal with a shallow basin and panelled without ornament and set on
a square shaft, similarly panelled.
Apart from the C15 tower and C17 font the church is entirely C19. The richness of
the itroduced screen and altar seems incongrous with the deliberate simplicity of
the 1875 scheme. The church was a Chapel of Ease until the mid C19.
Source. Devon C19 Church Project.
Listing NGR: SY0856889710
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings