History in Structure

Custom House and Attached Rear Area Wall and Piers

A Grade II* Listed Building in Bristol, City of Bristol

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 51.4513 / 51°27'4"N

Longitude: -2.5945 / 2°35'40"W

OS Eastings: 358784

OS Northings: 172650

OS Grid: ST587726

Mapcode National: GBR C8L.5L

Mapcode Global: VH88M.ZS78

Plus Code: 9C3VFC24+G5

Entry Name: Custom House and Attached Rear Area Wall and Piers

Listing Date: 4 March 1977

Last Amended: 30 December 1994

Grade: II*

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282153

English Heritage Legacy ID: 380267

ID on this website: 101282153

Location: Bristol, BS1

County: City of Bristol

Electoral Ward/Division: Central

Parish: Non Civil Parish

Built-Up Area: Bristol

Traditional County: Gloucestershire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol

Church of England Parish: Bristol St Stephen with St James and St John the Baptist with St Michael and St George

Church of England Diocese: Bristol

Tagged with: Custom house

Find accommodation in



901-1/16/219 (North side)
04/03/77 Custom House and attached rear area
wall and piers
(Formerly Listed as:
(North side)
The Custom House)


Customs house. 1836. By Sidney Smirke. Limestone ashlar, ridge
and party wall stacks, roof not visible.
Double-depth plan. Neoclassical style. 2 storeys, attic and
basement; 5-window range. A symmetrical front has a plinth to
a sill band, plat band, first-floor sill band and impost band,
frieze and bracketed cornice, and parapet with raised dies.
Banded ground floor, rusticated quoins on the first floor.
A large doorway has paired pilasters to an entablature, with a
plinth above with raised ends, and a carving of the Royal Coat
of Arms; 9-pane overlight and 2-leaf 4-panel door, with an
inner 2-leaf 6-panel door with glazed round central panels.
6/6-pane ground-floor sashes, and tall semicircular-arched
first-floor windows with moulded archivolts, to 6/9-pane
Right-hand return has 3-window range, with 3/3-pane attic
sashes set below the cornice, and basement windows with grille
to pavement lights. Rear has projecting right-hand section,
and gabled left-hand with semicircular-arched windows.
INTERIOR: traces in basement of the early C18 house destroyed
in the riots, with tooled Pennant walls and timbers, and
security doors. Also a C19 range and cast-iron fireplace.
Central top-lit stair well has c1950 open-well stair;
principal first-floor room has 2 large acanthus ceiling roses,
cornice, and doorway with consoles to a pediment; dogleg
winder service stair to the attic has stick balusters and
column newels; doorways with panelled reveals and soffits, and
6-panel doors.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: attached rusticated Pennant ashlar walls
and piers to rear area.
Replaced the Custom House destroyed in the Reform Bill riots
of 1831.
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 237).

Listing NGR: ST5878472650

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.