This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5072 / 51°30'25"N
Longitude: -2.6304 / 2°37'49"W
OS Eastings: 356347
OS Northings: 178879
OS Grid: ST563788
Mapcode National: GBR JP.J72N
Mapcode Global: VH88F.CC9Z
Plus Code: 9C3VG949+VV
Entry Name: Henbury Manor and Attached Wall and Outbuilding to East
Listing Date: 8 January 1959
Last Amended: 30 December 1994
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282157
English Heritage Legacy ID: 380290
Location: Bristol, BS10
County: City of Bristol
Electoral Ward/Division: Henbury and Brentry
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Henbury
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5678NW RECTORY GARDENS, Henbury
901-1/17/1396 (North side)
08/01/59 Henbury Manor and attached wall and
outbuilding to east
(Formerly Listed as:
Henbury Manor House)
House, now school. c1688. Extended and refenestrated mid C19.
For John Sampson. Random rubble with limestone dressings and
C19 coursed rubble extensions, diagonally-set ridge stacks and
a slate roof.
Double-depth plan with rear extension. 3 storeys; 5-window
range. Jacobean style. Steep gables with moulded copings have
ball finials and panels with oval lights, 3 gables to the
front and 2 to the sides, with string courses to each floor.
C19 cross windows with label moulds and metal casements below
Lias relieving arches and infill.
Matching mid C19 additions in squared, coursed rubble: a
2-storey front extension with a shallow full-height projection
to the centre with a strapwork open parapet and rampant
dragons holding flags, a Tudor-arched door with label mould to
shield stops and foliate spandrels, and paired ground-floor
cross window to the left; a 2-storey gabled porch to the left
return with a bay with tripartite windows, and to the rear a
2-storey extension with 4 cross gables, and original lead
To the E of the extension a tall C17 wall attached to gate
piers (qv) has C19 Tudor-arched doorway and vaulted stores.
INTERIOR: a fine open-well stair with barleysugar balusters,
moulded banister and panelled newels with openwork pendants;
panelled wainscotting and dado, panelled doors and shutters,
and eared architraves.
SUBSIDIARY FEATURES: linked block to NE has a tall rubble wall
with limestone Tudor-arched doorway, and steps up to Lias
Tudor-arched doorway and ribbed door.
HISTORICAL NOTE: Originally called Henbury Awdelett. Shown in
a Kip illustration of 1712, gabled as now with a 2-storey
parapeted porch on the front, similar fenestration, a flat
parapeted roof above the stair well for observation, a doorway
in the right return with a segmental pediment, and stables and
yard at the rear including the steps mentioned above. Extended
by Edward Sampson using stone from the nearby Great House,
demolished in 1821.
(Hallen and Henbury Women's Institute: A Guide to Henbury:
Bristol: 1970-: 21).
Listing NGR: ST5634778879
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings