This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.4839 / 51°29'2"N
Longitude: -2.6184 / 2°37'6"W
OS Eastings: 357154
OS Northings: 176288
OS Grid: ST571762
Mapcode National: GBR C26.VX
Mapcode Global: VH88F.KYMT
Entry Name: St Monica's Chapel, St Monica's Home of Rest
Listing Date: 24 February 1993
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282318
English Heritage Legacy ID: 379416
Location: Bristol, BS9
Electoral Ward/Division: Westbury-on-Trym and Henleaze
Built-Up Area: Bristol
Traditional County: Gloucestershire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Bristol
Church of England Parish: Westbury-on-Trym
Church of England Diocese: Bristol
ST5776 COTE LANE, Stoke Bishop
901-1/28/2131 (South side)
24/02/93 St Monica's Chapel, St Monica's Home
Chapel. 1925. By Sir George Oatley. For HH Wills. Squared,
coursed Pennant rubble, limestone ashlar and tiled roof.
Chancel with flanking S Lady Chapel and N organ bay, and nave.
Perpendicular Gothic Revival style.
E end has buttresses to a tall central gable with 2-centred
arched 5-light window with ogee heads, transom, and panel
tracery, and flanking attached pinnacles, shallower flanking
gables have 4-centre arched 3-light windows with hoods and
foliate stops; sill mould, cornice with carved beast heads and
good parapet of openwork quatrefoils and finial, over
undercroft which has paired windows to the middle and 3-light
windows to the side gables with mullions, beneath a drip
The flanking gables repeated on N side of 6 bays, with
projecting 2-bay organ room, and blind W bay; an octagonal
ashlar bell tower in the re-entrant with the chapel with
square belfry, angle buttresses to pinnacles, 3-light windows
and open Tudor-arched windows to the belfry, a crested
parapet, and weathered roof to a finial.
Matching S elevation without the tower. W elevation attached
to rear of Rest Home has a wide 4-centre window.
INTERIOR: E end blind tracery panels round the window, and
piscina and sedilia with attached crocketed pinnacles; S Lady
Chapel, N organ bay with a good organ by 'Father' Willis.
Timber reredos has open 2-centre arches, fan vaulted above to
linenfold panelling, and a raised crucifix with flanking
figures. Nave windows have blind tracery panels, and stone
bench along the sides; the W end has 4 blind arches flanking
the central Tudor-arched doorway, beneath fan vaults to a
moulded band and 2-centred arched panels to the gallery
parapet. The roof has arch-braced tie beams on angel corbels.
An exceptionally well-detailed though anachronistic design,
using several motifs, such as the blind panelling and gallery,
from the Wills Tower (qv), designed 1914. See St Monica's Rest
(Gomme A, Jenner M and Little B: Bristol, An Architectural
History: Bristol: 1979-: 417).
Listing NGR: ST5715476288
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings