History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Church of St Stephen

A Grade II Listed Building in Prenton, Wirral

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.3691 / 53°22'8"N

Longitude: -3.0414 / 3°2'29"W

OS Eastings: 330802

OS Northings: 386308

OS Grid: SJ308863

Mapcode National: GBR 7Y6G.BZ

Mapcode Global: WH87D.7LY1

Entry Name: Church of St Stephen

Listing Date: 28 March 1974

Grade: II

Source: Historic England

Source ID: 1282512

English Heritage Legacy ID: 389296

Location: Wirral, CH42

County: Wirral

Electoral Ward/Division: Prenton

Built-Up Area: Birkenhead

Traditional County: Cheshire

Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Merseyside

Church of England Parish: Prenton St Stephen

Church of England Diocese: Chester

Find accommodation in
Bebington

Listing Text


BIRKENHEAD

SJ38NW PRENTON LANE, Prenton
789-1/4/240 (South side)
28/03/74 Church of St Stephen

II

Parish Church. Begun 1897. By C.E.Deacon. Completed 1907 by
Deacon and Horsburgh. Coursed and squared rubble (brick
internally) with red tiled roof. Nave with lean-to aisles with
projecting east chapels, chancel. 5-light west window. South
aisle with stepped lancet windows in superordinate arches -
paired lancets in east and west bays, quadruple lancets in two
central bays. Doorway towards west in plain moulded archway.
High parapet with plain corbel table and heavy western turret.
Triple lancet to east of lower chancel. North aisle similar,
but with main doorway towards west, with stepped moulded and
chamfered arch in advanced gable with statue in niche over.
Interior: exposed brickwork with stone bands. Arcade of 4 bays
with square chamfered piers with foliate capitals and plain
chamfered arches. Narrower wertern arch. Terracotta
hoodmoulds. Arched braced King post roof. Steeply pointed arch
to chancel carried on free-standing piers with carved angel
capitals. Another similar arch marks sanctuary. Keeled
panelled ceiling to chancel. Carved wood pulpit, lectern,
choir stalls, altar rails and altar. Reredos with angels
playing musical instruments in niches with canopy over. All
these furnishings by Deacon. Brick sedilia with terracotta
putti. Stained glass: east window as war memorial, 1914-18,
Christ in Majesty.
(The Buildings of England: Pevsner N and Hubbard E: Cheshire:
Harmondsworth: 1971-).


Listing NGR: SJ3080286308


This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.

This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.

Selected Sources

Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.

Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.