This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 54.5445 / 54°32'40"N
Longitude: -1.9255 / 1°55'31"W
OS Eastings: 404916
OS Northings: 516579
OS Grid: NZ049165
Mapcode National: GBR GHZW.XQ
Mapcode Global: WHB4L.D1BH
Entry Name: Trinity Methodist Church and Sunday School trinity Methodist Church, Sunday School and Attached Railings
Listing Date: 17 January 1989
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282738
English Heritage Legacy ID: 388698
Location: Barnard Castle, County Durham, DL12
County: County Durham
Civil Parish: Barnard Castle
Built-Up Area: Barnard Castle
Traditional County: Durham
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): County Durham
Church of England Parish: Barnard Castle with Whorlton
Church of England Diocese: Durham
770-1/3/69 (South West side)
17/01/89 Trinity Methodist Church, Sunday
School and attached railings
Methodist church and attached Sunday School with railings.
1894. By Marley & Woodhouse of Bradford. Rock-faced stone
with ashlar plinth and dressings; slate roof with stone
gable copings and terracotta ridges and finials and stone
PLAN: ritual east is geographical west. Nave with ritual
south-west tower, west vestibule, shallow transepts, and
chancel. Gothic Revival style.
EXTERIOR: west elevation has steps up to paired double boarded
doors in gabled surrounds with nook-shafts, pointed arches,
and gabled buttresses; lancets either side. Pinnacles rising
from buttresses have high finials in front of sill-string to
large 5-light window with Geometrical tracery. At left, paired
cusped lancets to stair tower with blind-arcaded frieze under
hexagonal hipped roof; at right, 3-stage tower has 2-light
window with tracery in first stage, 2 tall lancets in second,
tall 2-light window in third with clock set in head under
gable; gabled angle buttresses rise to centre of top stage
which has chamfered coping below octagonal angle pinnacles
flanking tall spire with bands and lucarnes, and weather-vane
finial. All windows chamfered, on sill-strings and with
2-light cusped traceried windows in nave and transepts, with
buttresses defining bays; transept gables have large round
windows with geometric tracery.
Sunday School building attached to church chancel has gable
over 4-light mullioned-and-transomed window under cinquefoil
window with plate tracery; relieving arch above.
Double-boarded doors at right. Hall to right has 4 two-light
mullioned windows under hipped roof.
INTERIOR: panelled west gallery with inserted glazed screen
below; inserted boarded ceiling above high coving with
corbelled trusses and intermediate plaster panels and thin
wood ribs. Pointed chamfered rere-arches to windows. Boarded
FITTINGS: Gothic fittings, with wood Communion rail on
wrought-iron balustrade; richly decorated reading desk with
shafts and panels; organ behind reading desk. Incised brass
door furniture. Some original pews remain, with Gothic ends
and boarded backs, but most removed.
MEMORIALS: war memorial in vestibule has names carved on wood
panel; other monuments in church include a panel to Rev G
Brown, born in Barnard Castle in 1835, died 1917, missionary,
explorer and scientist.
STAINED GLASS: that in north transept by Abbott & Co. of
Leicester: David and Dorcas; south transept war memorial
Hall has laminated wood roof trusses.
Alterations which began in 1989 are expected to continue with
conversion of Sunday School room to a flat.
Low walls with chamfered coping have spear-headed railings and
enclose street fronts of both parts of the building.
Listing NGR: NZ0493316588
This List entry has been amended to add the source for War Memorials Register. This source was not used in the compilation of this List entry but is added here as a guide for further reading, 30 October 2017.
This text is from the original listing, and may not necessarily reflect the current setting of the building.
Other nearby listed buildings