This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 51.2297 / 51°13'46"N
Longitude: -3.8343 / 3°50'3"W
OS Eastings: 272023
OS Northings: 149428
OS Grid: SS720494
Mapcode National: GBR L1.2VW7
Mapcode Global: VH4M9.HCB6
Plus Code: 9C3R65H8+V7
Entry Name: The Old Coach House
Listing Date: 3 September 1973
Source: Historic England
Source ID: 1282838
English Heritage Legacy ID: 376495
Location: Lynton and Lynmouth, North Devon, Devon, EX35
Civil Parish: Lynton and Lynmouth
Built-Up Area: Lynton
Traditional County: Devon
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Devon
Church of England Parish: Lynton St Mary the Virgin
Church of England Diocese: Exeter
LYNTON AND LYNMOUTH
SS7149 CHURCH HILL, Lynton
858-1/4/16 (South West side)
03/09/73 The Old Coach House
House with shop in island group. Late C18 or early C19.
Rendered or whitewashed rubble, slate roof. An obtuse-angled
range, set across the steep slope; at the rear the main range
is in 2 storeys on a high basement stage.
Front is in 2 storeys, 1+2-window range. The first floor has a
2-light casement in reveals on the range angled to the street,
then a 12-pane sash set flush, and a 2-light casement with
glazing bars. At ground floor a continuous plate-glass late
C19 shop-front, returned to the left gable with a quadrant
curve, and with deep-set central doorway under the sash window
bay, and a further 4-panel door far right, set back; a
continous balcony runs across the set-back part of the front,
with square end pilasters and splat balusters, but largely
covered by an applied plain fascia; a 1929 photograph
(Bartlett) shows a continuous balcony balustrade. The angled
wing has gable stacks.
The rear is 4 windows wide; the top floor has two 16-pane
sashes, and two C20 lights, above 3 deep 2-light small-pane
casements and an arched light, formerly a doorway, set in a
deep reveal. The gable to the left is plain, except for the
returned shopfront. The back of the building is straight, not
reflecting the angle on the street front, and it is all set
high above the surrounding streets.
INTERIOR not accessible, but said to retain nothing of special
With the adjoining Church Hill House (qv), an interesting
element of streetscape opposite St Mary's Church (qv), and the
2 buildings between them occupy a complete triangular island
block lying across a steep slope. The 1929 photograph shows
the angled end being used as an advertising board for the
Royal Castle Hotel and other matters.
(Bartlett T: Postcard Views of North Devon: Combe Martin:
Listing NGR: SS7202349428
Book cover links are generated automatically from the sources. They are not necessarily always correct, as book names at Amazon may not be quite the same as those used referenced in the text.
Source title links go to a search for the specified title at Amazon. Availability of the title is dependent on current publication status. You may also want to check AbeBooks, particularly for older titles.
Other nearby listed buildings